Tennis team faces Wichita State, Purdue, moves to 4-3 on season

0
23

No. 45 K-State was able to end their two-match skid over the weekend as they returned to Kansas to take on No. 65 Wichita State and No. 20 Purdue.

The Wildcats defeated the Shockers 4-2 on Saturday. Wichita State started the match with an early lead, as they grabbed the doubles point before K-State won two singles matches to tilt the score 2-1 in K-State’s favor. Wichita State would earn one more point by winning the No. 5 singles match, making it 2-2 before K-State won the next two singles matches, taking the overall victory.

However, Sunday’s match up did not go as well, as the Wildcats lost to No. 20 Purdue by a score of 4-2. Junior Petra Niedermayerova and freshman Ivana Kubickova were both able to grab victories against the Boilermakers.

Niedermayerova continued her climb to the top of the all-time K-State singles record as she added two more victories over the weekend. She has now won seven consecutive singles matches, as well as reached a season record of 21-5, giving her over 20 wins in all three seasons as a Wildcat.

She now carries an overall record of 69-28, which puts Niedermayerova in a tie for fourth on the all-time list. With four more singles victories this season she could also set a new season win record.

The Wildcats will take to the courts again on Saturday as they travel to Lincoln to take on former Big 12 Conference foe, Nebraska.