Schooley, Unruh campaign to improve K-State relationships, experience

0
29

Eli Schooley, senior in political science, and Jake Unruh, junior in finance, want to make an impact that students can feel. As running mates for the 2013-2014 student body president and vice president, they are closer than ever to achieving that goal.

“We want to enact our platform from day one,” Schooley said.

Schooley and Unruh’s platform is made up of enhancements they believe the university needs, according to Unruh.

“We want to make a positive difference at K-State, enact a real change that makes student life at K-State better,” Unruh said.

Unruh said that his early experience in the Student Governing Association gave him a working knowledge of its functions.

“I got involved in SGA in a number of different ways. I interned for a year as a freshman, now I work as the local relations director,” Unruh said. “I’m also president of the Union Governing Board.”

Schooley also had SGA experience from the beginning of his time at K-State, serving as an intern his freshman year and eventually becoming the SGA chief of staff for current president Nate Spriggs.

“I was the person in charge of enacting the platforms that the past president was elected on,” Schooley said. “Now I want to pursue the role that I worked so closely with and make more of those tangible impacts.”

A background in SGA is one of the qualities that brought Schooley and Unruh together.

“I was excited when Eli approached me for his running mate,” Unruh said. “I’d seen his leadership qualities in a number of different areas, and he’s got a good background in SGA. I think we make a great team.”

Schooley and Unruh’s team platform centers entirely around students. Their three-point system for benefitting K-State encompasses technology and reformation of current standards.

“Our platform is essentially three pieces,” Unruh said. “We want to empower relationships, enrich student experience and enhance our mobility.”

The first point in Schooley and Unruh’s plan involves the school-wide implementation of a system that one branch of K-State already uses.

“Right now the College of Business has a really successful program,” Unruh said. “They partner students with professionals in their field that have at least 10 years of experience. We think it’s a great program and it should be extended to everyone at K-State, whether you’re in agriculture or advertising.”

Schooley and Unruh also plan to restructure the TEVAL system, so more accurate information is sent from students to faculty.

“TEVALs don’t seem to have a lot of impact on the students or the teachers,” Schooley said. “We want to break down that communication gap between students and faculty in the classroom.”

To harness current technology, Schooley and Unruh are proposing the creation of a K-State app for smartphones and tablets, giving students access to webmail, iSIS and K-State Online in a mobile form, in addition to sending notifications when grades are updated or when the parking lots are full, among other functions.

“We want to be mobile, because we are in a mobile time,” Unruh said.

As president and vice president, Schooley and Unruh said they would be focused on increasing funding for events and groups that contribute educational value to students.

“We’d like to see student dollars go to things students want and need,” Unruh said. “Finding programs that will serve as many students as possible and making sure they have funds is our priority.”

Schooley said that he wished to ensure that the entire funding allocation process was objective and representative not only of traditional students, but also of minority and non-traditional student interests.

“The most important thing that comes to allocating SGA money is that those committees looking at funding requests look at each proposal with fresh eyes,” Schooley said. “If we focus on committees full of objective people, the allocation process will continue going smoothly.”

Schooley and Unruh’s campaign is fueled by a desire to make change, Schooley said, and the two candidates have worked to make sure that change is what would happen if they were elected.

“We put a lot of time in last semester meeting with administrators on campus and making sure that what we’re running on is measurable and can be enacted,” Schooley said. “It was important to use to make sure that what we’re proposing can actually happen. It’s more than just words.”

The primary elections will open Tuesday and go on through Wednesday. Students can vote at sgaelections.ksu.edu, and will need their eID to vote.