K-State Proud completes weeklong campaign to raise scholarship funds

0
31
Emily DeShazer | The Collegian K-State Proud members present a check for fourty five thousand dollars at Bramlage Coliseum on Monday. The crowd was encouraged to wear their shirts to the game.

K-State Proud’s weeklong campaign comes to an end today, but the student group’s fundraising efforts are still going strong.

After raising $45,000 in donations, Javier Lopez, junior in history and K-State Proud co-chair, said that the K-State community has not disappointed.

“Donations have been good,” Lopez said. “We’ve had some delay due to the weather, but we’re very happy with the traffic we’ve had here in the Union.”

The campaign, which consisted of volunteers manning a booth in the Union and accepting donations from passing K-Staters, was scheduled to end Monday, but it was extended in response to the snow day last week.

“Though we’re announcing the current number at the game tonight, there will be plenty more opportunities to donate throughout this year,” Lopez said.

The total number of donations was announced by the organization at halftime of the K-State men’s basketball game on Monday. The group’s goal is to raise $135,000 this year. To achieve it, K-State Proud has tried a new method.

“We did a pre-campaign last week, going around to different greek houses before the official campaign started,” Lopez said. “It was the first time we’d ever done something like that.”

Students who donated to K-State Proud last week or this week could receive a T-shirt, button, sticker, pen or all of those items. The K-State Proud booth featured a visual timeline of the organization’s logos, and the T-shirts this year feature a retro design of Willie the Wildcat.

“Our shirts are designed by students and designs are chosen with student body input,” Lopez said.

Students were invited to wear their K-State Proud shirts to the basketball game Monday, where students were admitted free with a K-State ID. At the game, Lopez presented K-State President Kirk Schulz with the check for $45,000.

K-State Proud gives donation money back to students as award scholarships. A student allocations committee confers with the Office of Student Financial Assistance to provide the award scholarship to students in financial need. Students and faculty can nominate others for the scholarship, or students may nominate themselves.

In the past six years, K-State Proud has raised more than $550,000 to keep students enrolled in school. Lopez said the T-shirts are more than thank-you items, but represent the goal of the organization.

“It’s cool that you have a student-designed shirt for a philanthropy that serves students,” Lopez said. “It goes full circle.”