K-State weekend sports preview

0
33
Emily DeShazer | Collegian A K-State equestrian team member focuses on riding during the Equitation on the Flat competition on Oct. 5, 2012, at Timbercreek Stables in Manhattan.

Equestrian
The No. 4 Wildcats travel to Texas for a weekend showdown with No. 6 Baylor and No. 8 TCU. The Wildcats were victorious in their first two matches against their Big 12 rivals, and head coach Casie Maxwell said that the team must be ready to ride.

“This weekend will be a big challenge,” Maxwell said. “Both Baylor and TCU have strong teams and have been performing really well, so we will definitely have to be on our A-game.”

Rugby
Both the K-State men’s and women’s rugby teams will take on former Big 12 rival Nebraska on Saturday. The men’s game starts at 5 p.m. at East Stadium, while the women’s rugby team will face Nebraska on home turf in Lincoln at 2:30 p.m.

Baseball
The Wildcat baseball team starts off its home schedule with the first of a 19-game homestand on Saturday, playing host to the Oakland Grizzlies. In a deviation from the team’s original schedule, K-State elected to play one game on Saturday and finish the weekend with a double-header rather than play tonight, when temperatures are expected to be in the low 30s.

Track and field
Three members of the K-State track and field team, junior long jumper Jharyl Bowry, junior high jumper Zack Riley and senior pole vaulter Kyle Wait, head to the Arkansas Final qualifier today for their last chance to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship next week. All three members are only centimeters away from qualifying for the national championships.

Women’s tennis
After gaining their highest ranking in two years, the Wildcats travel to Lincoln, Neb. to take on former Big 12 rival Nebraska, who currently ranks 10th in the country. Two top-20 individually ranked players, No. 16 senior Mary Weatherholt of Nebraska and K-State’s No. 17 junior Petra Niedermayerova, will lead their teams into the weekend showdown.