Discussing sex in public is trashy; students should find new topics

0
179

Sex is everywhere. TV, movies and music make it a part of our everyday lives, but that doesn’t mean it should be. I’m not going to pretend to be some holier-than-thou person who has never discussed sex in public, because that is not the case. I’m guilty of it, and I’m sure that 99 percent of the people reading this are too. While I know that stopping entirely would be impossible, cutting back is absolutely doable.

“How much is too much talk about sex?” you might be wondering. If your Facebook friends or Twitter followers can give the dates and times of your sexual encounters then you are misusing social media and need to quit immediately.

There is never a good reason to post something like “Oh My Gosh. This walk of shame is so long. Why does (Insert partner’s name) have to live so far away?” Reserve that kind of trashiness for your diary or private conversations alone — which brings me to my next point.

It is not OK to detail every moment of a hook up to another person when there are other people in the immediate vicinity. No one wants to hear about exactly what you did in the middle of the night in your bedroom.

Maybe someone is trying to eat lunch, overhears you speaking and loses their appetite at the thought of your naked body. Or maybe you think your BFF needs to hear all about the guy you hooked up with right before class and you speak so loudly the people around you cannot hear the teacher and end up taking notes over your sex life.

Both of these are extreme situations, but very plausible in my mind, especially considering the average college student’s obsession with sex. No willing sexual encounter is ever so pertinent that it needs to be discussed immediately.

If people continue to be willy nilly in their discussions of sex, where will things end up? When my grandparents were my age, the word sex was never spoken in public for fear of being shunned. Now it is thrown around casually like it doesn’t matter.

If what is socially acceptable when it comes to sex keeps changing as fast as it has, something horrifying like people having sex in public places without consequence will be the norm when my grandchildren are in college. That is something that I most certainly do not want to see.

Not only should sex not be discussed in public because it could be detrimental to future generations (which may or may not be an exaggeration), but also because it just isn’t a very classy conversation topic.

I don’t mean to lump everyone together but, in my experience, college students tend to choose trashy conversation topics over tasteful ones by a large margin. Sex should not be the default trashy conversation topic. There are so many other great ones that get overlooked, like tube tops and any city of “Real Housewives,” for example. This is my call to action for everyone to branch out and try new trashy things. Sex isn’t everything.

Everyone reading this may be having a good old laugh about how ridiculous this all sounds, but just listen to the people around you for a day and I guarantee you will hear someone discussing sex without a care in the world. Or maybe you have already noticed — perhaps you’ve even noticed me doing it (for which I am truly sorry). I am trying to cut back on this bad habit, and so should you. Sex is everywhere, and together we can keep it where it really belongs: in the bedroom.

Zach Foley is a freshman in education. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.