Shamrock event brings large crowd, raises money for Crisis Center

0
47

Though many Manhattanites may associate the four-leaf clover as a symbol of Fake Patty’s Day and Irish-themed festivities, Kappa Delta sorority used the theme to host their annual Shamrock Dinner on Saturday in an effort to raise money for the Manhattan Crisis Center.

The event consisted of a dinner at the Kappa Delta sorority house Saturday night as well as a three-on-three basketball tournament at the Peters Recreation Complex Sunday morning.

“Last year we raised over $14,000,” said Kensey Smith, Kappa Delta’s philanthropy chair and sophomore in kinesiology. “This year we hope to raise more than that.”

Thirty minutes before the doors opened, a line of hungry students wrapped around the house and along the sidewalks of Centennial Drive; the flow of people stayed steady throughout the afternoon and into the evening.

The dinner included an all-you-can-eat buffet with food selections from Mr. Goodcents, Chipotle, Jimmy John’s and Little Caesar’s Pizza, all for $6 per person.

“The food is delicious and fresh,” said Madeline Seggelke, sophomore in chemistry. “It was a really good price for what we got.”

Open seats and tables were hard to come by as crowds of people piled into the dining room of the Kappa Delta house, looking to get their hands on a variety of dishes. In the past, the food flow could not keep up with the amount of people that attended the dinner, according to some Kappa Delta members.

“Everything is going really good,” said Emily Jorgensen, junior in life sciences. “We haven’t ran out of food yet, which has happened to us in the past.”

The women of Kappa Delta have been known to promote and market this event all over campus in the past, and this year was the same story. Members could be found chalking the sidewalks, hanging fliers on campus, setting up booths at the Student Union and discreetly “pinning” clothespins with the event information to the backpacks of oblivious students.

“Creepily pinning people is a huge favorite,” Jorgensen said. “I love seeing pictures on Facebook of people that just got pinned.”

The event even had ongoing advertisements on the Internet and was heard on the local airwaves.

“I heard about the event on the radio,” said Audrey Boring, junior in elementary education. “They had quite a bit of advertising.”

Well known K-Staters, such as Bill Snyder, have attended this dinner in the past. This year the Shamrock Dinner’s special guest was another recognizable face in the K-State community.

“Bill Snyder isn’t coming, but he still made a donation,” Smith said. “This year, we’re excited to have Willie the Wildcat come and greet the crowd.”

On Sunday morning over a dozen teams showed up at the Rec to compete in the three-on-three basketball tournament that concluded the Shamrock event.

“A team from KU won last year and the same team won again this year,” Jorgensen said. “That was really unfortunate.”

Out of all the proceeds, 80 percent will go to the The Crisis Center in Manhattan, an organization which serves victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault in the surrounding counties.

Other recent events that have raised awareness for The Crisis Center include a flash mob in Aggieville as well as the “Have a Pie with Alpha Chi” philanthropy event, both held presented by the Alpha Chi Omega sorority.

The other 20 percent of the proceeds will go to Prevent Child Abuse America, which is Kappa Delta’s national philanthropy.