Head baseball coach Brad Hill earns 300th win at K-State

0
29
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Starting right-handed pitcher sophomore Matt Wivinis winds up during K-State’s third game against Oakland on Sunday at Tointon Family Stadium. Consistent pitching has been a key part in the Wildcats’ wins this season, leading them to a three-game sweep of Oakland last weekend and a 10-2 victory over Niagara on Tuesday.

Brad Hill won his 300th game as the head coach of the Wildcat baseball team last night, as K-State topped Niagara 10-2. Hill ranks second on the all-time wins list for K-State’s baseball coaches, behind Mike Clark with 435. Hill is the second Wildcat coach to hit 300 wins. The win boosted K-State to 7-3 on the season.

Just a few hours before the senior basketball players were celebrating their last game in Bramlage Coliseum, senior right-hand pitcher Jake Doller gave the K-State baseball team a solid start on the mound. He pitched five innings, allowing one unearned run off four hits while striking out a career-high six batters and walking one. Doller’s five innings were also a career high as he has spent most of his time at K-State coming out of the bullpen.

“Jake was really good today,” Hill said. “He’s a senior guy that we’re trying to find a role for to see if he can help us. Maybe this is what it’s going to be this year because those midweek games are really important. When you start looking at building a resume for yourself, midweek games are really important. He looked really comfortable and confident out there with what he was doing.”

Freshman Haydon Nixon pitched thee innings of relief, allowing one unearned run, and freshman Josh Smith pitched a scoreless ninth to round out the win for K-State.

K-State’s offense was just as hot as its pitching. The team came out of the gate with five runs in the first three innings. Senior right fielder Jon Davis hit his team-leading third home run in the third inning as part of a two-hit day for the Wildcats. Sophomore first baseman Shane Conlon also hit a home run, his second on the year, with a solo shot in the fourth inning. This gives Conlon a hit in every game the Wildcats have played this season. Sophomore shortstop Austin Fisher led the team with three RBIs off of two hits on Tuesday afternoon.

K-State plays Niagara again today at 3 p.m. to finish the series. Freshman Blake McFadden will take the mound for K-State as they go for the series sweep and their eighth win out of 11 games are the start of the season.