Mother who hired strippers for son’s party should face consequences

0
36

A mother from New York has been charged with child endangerment for allegedly hiring strippers to perform at her 16-year-old son’s November birthday party, according to a Feb. 20 ABC News article by Josh Haskell. The 33-year-old mother of four responded to the situation by saying that her family is going through a “difficult time.”

A difficult time? That is the understatement of the year. I’m sure her family is going through a giant mess of a time because she has no idea what is appropriate entertainment for a child’s birthday party. What happened to clowns and magicians? I understand that this is a 16-year-old’s birthday party and maybe those aren’t considered “cool” anymore, but a stripper should never have come into the picture.

What really boggles the mind is that this party was not hosted in the privacy of a residence, but at a party room in a bowling alley with more than 80 attendees (some as young as 13). It was this mother’s choice to ruin her own child’s innocence, but to think that other parents would be OK with their children leaving the house one way and returning corrupted shows that not a lot of thought was put into the consequences of strippers coming into contact with children.

The mother probably believed she had gotten away with providing adult entertainers to children since the party took place in November and no consequences arose until February. That all changed, however, when photos of the event were posted on Facebook and one parent became very unhappy with the party entertainment. I don’t think anyone other than a level-headed and responsible parent would have been able to foresee that reaction.

The crazy thing is that there were parents in attendance at the party, meaning that other adults should have and could have stopped the strippers from disrobing in front of the underaged guests. However, they didn’t, which leads me to believe that the guest list only included like-minded parents who would approve of children partaking in illegal activities. Must have been a very exclusive invitation — going only to the most irresponsible adults around town.

It is almost impressive that no one with any sense found out about the party until the Facebook pictures were posted. I cannot imagine that this boy’s birthday party was not the talk of school for at least a week after the event — unless of course the boys involved were sworn to secrecy and that’s how this was kept under wraps for three months.

If that is the case, at least the mother tried to cover her back, basically showing her kids that it is acceptable to knowingly do something wrong as long as you make sure you will not get caught. I hope New York has not chosen their mother of the year yet, because I have a feeling we have a new front-runner for her innovative parenting style.

The craziest thing about all of this is that somehow the strippers involved have come out unscathed. The girls are claiming they had no idea that the attendees were underage, even though they performed for children at a child’s birthday party. I have never seen a 13-year-old that could pass for 18, so I highly doubt they were unaware of for whom exactly they were dancing. The mother may have endangered the children, but if the strippers proceeded to dance for an audience that was most likely not ready for the show they received, they should be held just as accountable.

Anyone who thinks it is all right to hire strippers not just for their own kids but for others’ children as well should probably not have any children at all. This mother needs to face the consequences of her poor judgment, and if that means not having any children to plan future birthday parties for, then so be it.

Zach Foley is a freshman in education. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.