Travel, celebrations, education on agenda for Irish holiday

0
33
Evert Nelson | The Collegian People decked out in green flooded Moro Street Saturday for the annual Fake Patty’s Day event. From early in the morning to late into the night, people took part in the activities the day brought on. Although the actual St. Patrick’s Day is over spring break, many K-State students and professors are making plans for the day that range from celebrating on vacation to relaxing at home. Donna Potts, professor in English, will be teaching an Irish literature seminar over spring break, and will be spending the holiday in New York, home of a St. Patrick’s Day parade that often boasts over 150,000 participants.

With the celebration stories of Fake Patty’s Day dying down, the focus of students and faculty have now shifted to the actual March holiday. While some students plan to spend St. Patrick’s Day at home, others have decided to celebrate it a bit more as the holiday falls during spring break.

“I’ll be in Mexico with my girlfriend,” said Aaron Davis, junior in public relations. “We’re going to a wedding and it’ll be a good time.”

Many students plan on traveling over spring break.

“We’ll be in the Bahamas,” said Sami Hess, junior in mass communications.

Hess and her friend, Sydney Sewell, senior in journalism and mass communications, are traveling together.

“We’re celebrating on the beach,” Sewell said. “It’s not a party spring break, but more of a relaxing one. We fly out Friday morning.”

Though the promise of spring break seems to overshadow St. Patrick’s Day for most students, others are choosing to celebrate in Manhattan, through education. Donna Potts, professor of English, will teach an Irish literature seminar over spring break.

“This was, historically, a time to drink a lot in Ireland,” Potts said. “The Irish would indeed wear shamrocks in their hats, and pinch others who weren’t wearing green. Later, it developed into a more religious holiday.”

Potts also said that, though many customs are similar between Ireland and America, their celebration of St. Patrick’s Day was rather different in level.

“I lived in Ireland,” Potts said, “and I’ve found that the celebration in America is more extreme than it ever was there.”

Some students are using the break simply as a chance to do something that is not schoolwork.

“I’ll be doing things over that time, but they won’t have anything to do with St. Patty’s Day,” said Allison Johnson, senior in chemical engineering. “I’ll probably be at home.”

Students and professors might be traveling, learning or relaxing, but the joys of spring break mixed with St. Patrick’s day celebration will be rejuvenating for many.

“We’re looking forward to it. I’m ready for a break and ready to get out of here,” Davis said.

Potts said she hopes to see a little similarity in Irish and American celebration this year.

“I’ll be in New York on actual St. Patrick’s day,” Potts said. “In Ireland, there’s usually a huge parade on that day. Hopefully I’ll be able to see some kind of parade where I am.”