Wildcats fall to Bears in game 2, split series 1-1

0
17
Parker Robb | Collegian K-State pitcher Jake Doller launches the ball toward home plate and a ready Northern Colorado batter during the Wildcats' game against the Bears Tuesday evening at Tointon Family Stadium.

After an impressive 11-0 win Tuesday night, the Wildcat baseball team was on the wrong side of another shutout last night at the hands of the University of Northern Colorado, losing 3-0.

The loss of their tenth home game in Tointon Family Stadium dropped the Wildcats to 10-6 on the season and increased Northern Colorado’s record to 4-7. It was the Bears’ first win over K-State in 14 games.

North Carolina starting pitcher sophomore Josh Tinnon shut down the Wildcats’ offense by pitching 7.2 scoreless innings, in which he held K-State hitless until the sixth inning. Tinnon ended up allowing four hits, while striking out five K-State players and walking one. The righty improved his record to 1-1 on the season.

K-State’s offense only mustered five hits after banging out 11 runs on 11 hits the night before. Sophomore second baseman Ross Kivett had two of the Wildcats’ five hits, including a single up the middle in the sixth inning which ended Tinnon’s no-hit bid. Sophomore first baseman Shane Conlon also saw his 15-game hitting streak come to an end with a hitless afternoon.

“It was a frustrating day,” said Wildcats head baseball coach Brad Hill. “First of all, you have to tip your cap. Their guy [Tinnon] did exactly what he had to do. If we’re not going to make adjustments, then he’s going to last almost nine innings. There were just no adjustments. We gave away a ton of at-bats early in the game. I don’t know if we had a well-hit ball until the sixth inning. It’s disappointing because we feel like we have a really good offensive ballclub.”

Wildcat starter Blake McFadden pitched 4.1 innings, allowing two runs off eight hits. The sophomore righty, who took the loss and fell to 1-1 this season, struck out five while walking just one in his 85 pitches.

After McFadden, freshman Haydon Nixon pitched 1.2 scoreless innings, junior Gerardo Esquivel added two more scoreless innings and freshman Levi MaVorhis finished the game out, allowing one run off one hit in his one inning.

K-State starts Big 12 play this weekend as they host West Virginia at 6:30 p.m. on Friday night. Sophomore Nate Williams (2-2) will get the start for K-State. The series continues Saturday with a 2 p.m. first pitch and concludes Sunday at 11 a.m.