Peabody leads K-State Lacrosse to First Victory

0
24

Junior Mike Peabody, captain and MVP of the K-State Lacrosse Club, scored three goals and assisted on another on Saturday, when the K-State defense shut down the Rams in the Wildcats’ 8-3 victory over Cornell College. This was K-State’s first victory of the year in only their second home game, as they are now 1-4.

The first 10 minutes of the game was dominated by Cornell, but the team only managed to score one goal due to a tough gritty defensive performance by the Wildcats, as well as the many penalties called against the Rams.

K-State responded in the last five minutes of the first quarter to take back the lead, and led by a score of 2-1. Peabody ignited the spark by scoring a 5-foot shot with 3:04 left in the quarter.

The second quarter was back and forth between the two teams before K-State gained control. K-State went into halftime up 5-3. Peabody demonstrated his great passing ability in the quarter with a beautiful over-top lob to his cutting teammate, who quickly fired it in.

K-State’s defense was tenacious and did not allow any goals in the second half. Despite the large number of penalties called against the Wildcats in the latter half of the game, K-state was able to score two more goals, including another by Peabody.

Peabody said that he was able to pick up his scoring and help the Wildcats to a victory because of the great coaching that was done to prepare him and his teammates for the game.

“Our offense moved together well,” Peabody said. “A lot of our guys were giving me looks and getting me open.”

Peabody also said that the zone defense was spectacular, despite having to play while down a man for much of the second half due to penalties. He added that good defense led to more and better offense.

“The less defense we play, the more opportunities we have on offense,” Peabody said.