K-State sports teams receive athletic, academic honors

0
728
Emily DeShazer | The Collegian Members of the K-State equestrian team take a break from action at Timbercreek Stables. The team will compete next in the NCEA Championships in Waco, Texas April 18-20.

Many K-State student athletes have earned recognition this year, both for their success in academics and their achievements in athletics.

Women’s Golf: The K-state women’s golf team had five members put on the All-Academic Big 12 team.
First team:
Senior Hanna Roos
Senior Laura Hildebrandt
Junior Gianna Misenhelter
Sophomore Carly Ragains

Second team:
Senior Whitney Pyle

Head coach Kristi Knight said she was proud of her team, nothing that it has been a tough season due to traveling and weather.

“This is a great accomplishment by these ladies,” Knight said. “Each semester it is always demanding, but this one has been especially so with multiple cancelled return flights due to weather or tournament conditions. I am very proud of my entire team for their academic efforts.”

The Wildcats will be back in action April 19-21, as they travel to Rhodes, Iowa for the Big 12 Championship at the Harvester Golf Club.

Men’s Golf:

First team:

Senior Curtis Yonke

Junior Daniel Wood

Sophomore Kyle Weldon

Second team:

Senior Ben Juffer

Much like coach Knight, men’s head coach Tim Norris said that it has been a tough year for his athletes, but that it goes to show the hard work they’ve put in.

“With the amount of travel and the number of tournaments that these four have participated in this season, their ability to keep up with their academics is a real source of pride, not just for them, but also for myself,” Norris said. “It has always been part of the culture of our team to put academics first and have golf a close second. For those guys to prioritize their days and put in as much time as they do on the golf course and then in the classroom is special.”

The men will be back in action April 22-24, as they play in the 2013 Big 12 Championship at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan.

Tennis:

On Wednesday, the K-State women’s team received the ITA National Team Sportsmanship award for the month of April.

Head coach Steve Bietau was proud of his team, understanding the great honor in receiving the award.

“There are so many teams out there that compete hard with great sportsmanship, for ours to be recognized like this is truly an honor,” Bietau said.

The Wildcats will host No. 15 Texas Tech on Friday, while hosting No. 29 Texas on Saturday. Both matches will start at 1:00 p.m.

Equestrian:

The K-State equestrian team, currently ranked No. 5 in the country, had four athletes put on the All-American team on Tuesday.

Seniors Meredith Finch, Hannah Ribera and Kali Yates and junior Rachel Webster were all announced to the team, giving K-State 10 riders to receive this honor in the past three seasons.

The Wildcats will be back in action April 18-20 in Waco, Texas, to participate in the NCEA championship.