K-State tennis team sweeps weekend to conclude regular season

0
40
Emily DeShazer | Collegian Senior tennis player Karla Bonacic returns a hit from Texas' Aeriel Ellis on April 13 at Wamego Recreation Complex. Three seniors, Bonacic, Carmen Borau Ramos and Ana Gomez Aleman all defeated their West Virginian opponents this Sunday in thier last home match as a Wildcat.

The No. 52 K-State women’s tennis team bounced back in a huge way at home this weekend, sweeping both Iowa State and West Virginia to wrap up the Big 12 Conference regular season.

On Friday, the Wildcats ended a four-match losing streak by defeating the Iowa State Cyclones 7-0.

The hot streak continued into Sunday’s dual against the West Virginia Mountaineers, as the Wildcats once again scored a 7-0 victory.

Sunday was K-State’s final match of the regular season as well as senior night for the trio of Karla Bonacic, Carmen Borau Ramos and Ana Gomez Aleman.

Junior Petra Niedermayerova collected two more victories over the weekend to push her into a tie for second all-time in school history with 77 wins. The all-time wins record for K-State is 79, a mark that Niedermayerova could reach during the postseason.

The Wildcats ended the season with a record of 9-10 overall and 3-6 in the Big 12. The team will now travel to the 2013 Big 12 Women’s Tennis Championships in Norman, Okla., slated for April 25-28.