Office in Union acts as center for 25 multicultural student organizations at K-State

0
58

Located on the first floor of the K-State Student Union, the Multicultural Student Organization Office is home to 25 multicultural organizations on campus. Students use the office as a “home base” for studying and gathering with other multicultural students during the school year.

According to the K-State website, the office is “committed to promoting diversity and leadership development for students of color.”

“It’s a place where students can come meet, work, socialize and conduct their business,” said Brandon Clark, program coordinator for multicultural student organizations for the Office of Diversity.

Of the 25 multicultural student organizations house in the office, four use the office as their headquarters: the Hispanic American Leadership Organization, the Black Student Union, the Native American Student Association and the Asian American Student Union.

Most students use the MSO office when their schedule permits.

“I do homework in between classes,” said Justice Davis, member of BSU and freshman in business administration.

The office is a place for students to meet and exchange ideas with other students with similar backgrounds.

“The way we’ve structured our meetings have made the office less of a meeting place,” said David Mejia-Zaccaro, president of HALO and junior in business management. “It’s more of a checkpoint when coordinating events that are within walking distance of the Union.”

Elizabeth Yang, president of the Asian American Student Union and senior in business administration, uses the office about once a week to plan for meetings.

“Due to my school and work schedule, I use the MSO office for about one to two hours,” Yang said.

The office houses K-State’s many multicultural student organization in lieu of a larger center, which K-State does not have.

“K-State is the only school in the Big 12 Conference that doesn’t have a center for the multicultural students,” Clark said.

Other organizations that are housed in the MSO include:

• United Black Voices
  • Workers of Wisdom
  • Ebony Theatre
  • National Pan-Hellenic Council and associated greek houses
  • Multicultural Student Organizations Leadership Council
  • National Organization of Minority Architect Students
  • Multicultural Business Student Association
  • League of United Latin American Citizens
  • Diverse Mass Communicators
  • Hispanic greek organizations
  • Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences

For more information about the multicultural student organizations on campus, visit k-state.edu/diversity/multicultural.