Campus diversity stems from efforts of student groups, university

0
25

Diversity is a subject that may or may not concern us. Being part of the K-State community lets us be a part of something bigger than ourselves — a family.

K-State has more than 23,000 students from all 50 states and from more than 90 countries. Right off the bat you can infer that there are a wide variety of groups at K-State, but do these groups really connect with other students and each other and feel welcomed?

The answer to this question is fairly obvious. K-State has dozens of student organizations and a department dedicated to making sure that there is diversity in our student population and fair treatment for all.

From my perspective, as an international student at K-State, I feel welcomed by the K-State community. The university does an outstanding job of getting groups to interact with each other and get connected.

But this is not something that just concerns K-State as a university. It concerns students, too. There needs to be an attitude encouraging students to put forth an effort to get involved and not just hang around with people of your own country or group.

K-State has a community of international students that work together through different student organizations. These organizations really appreciate the support granted by K-State to help accomplish their goals and dreams planned for the scholarly year.

Every year, the International Student Center offers a rich cultural exposition held in the K-State Student Union to commemorate students’ home countries. This event helps students who are not as involved with the international community get informed about the various cultural groups at K-State and to appreciate the university’s diversity.

The hard part here is that not everybody is interested in participating, and at the end of the day some people end up claiming that there is no diversity at K-State and that international groups really don’t interact with them.

As the ethnic variety of students at K-State increases with each year, it remains necessary to support these collaborative activities to get more students involved and make international friendships.

Walking around campus, I personally see a lot of diversity — not only the diverse exterior appearances of people, but also the diversity of people’s beliefs. I enjoy seeing people in the Union publicizing their organizations and promoting their activities. There is always something going on involving students from different groups, political views or even just different sports. The students here really contribute to making campus diverse and friendly.

Karina Fiegelist is a sophomore in journalism and mass communications. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.