Finals Guide: Places to study during finals week

0
38

Finals week can be a very stressful time for students, especially when it comes to finding the perfect place to study.

Many students go to Hale Library because it is open 24 hours and has many desktop computers and open tables. Although Hale Library is large, with a campus of almost 24,000 students, it can be overwhelmingly packed during finals week. But it is not the only place to study.

“The library and maybe other popular locations for studying are a bit crowded,” said Steven Dandaneau, vice provost for undergraduate studies. “It would be helpful to have people spread out and have more quiet space.”

On campus, the Leadership Studies building, K-State Student Union and the Alumni Center are just a few of the places students can find space to study.

The Leadership Studies building will be open 24 hours a day Sunday through Friday of finals week. All areas will be available, including classrooms and study nooks.

The K-State Student Union is another place on campus that has extended hours for finals week. Sunday through Thursday, the ground and first floor will be open 24 hours.

Audrey Taggart-Kagdis, assistant director of the Union, said the space offers a variety of resources for students who want to study there.

“The Union offers 24-hour study space to support our students’ academic efforts,” Taggart-Kagdis said. “Also available are our two computer labs, vending machines and the convenience of the parking garage.”

The Alumni Center also has extended hours during finals week. It will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday and Friday of finals week.

Lauren Chard, alumni center manager, said that the center is a great place for studying due to how quiet it can be.

“Our building is much quieter than other venues on campus, and we do have some small meeting rooms where the doors can be shut and the students can study without being distracted by the general public,” Chard said.

On-campus buildings are not the only places that offer resources and space for studying. Some places off campus are becoming popular among several students.

The most popular are shops in Aggieville like Varsity Donuts, Bluestem Bistro, Starbucks and Radina’s. All four have free Wi-Fi, places to study, and coffee or treats available for study snacks.

Grace Stanfield, sophomore in entrepreneurship and employee at Varsity Donuts, said that the shop works well for a variety of students’ needs.

“We also have a large area available for reservations for people who may study in bigger groups,” Stanfield said.

The Manhattan Public Library, located at 629 Poyntz Ave., has a specific space set aside for students to study during finals week. The library provides free wireless internet and quiet study areas.

Whether it’s for a change of scenery or to get out of Hale Library, there are many places on and off campus that provide resources for students during the final week of the semester.