K-State student in Australia shares tips for studying abroad

0
119

Hello everyone! Now that the semester is coming to a close, some of you may be asking yourselves, “What should I do now?” One exciting possibility is the opportunity to study abroad in another country.

If you have been following my past articles, you have read some of my experiences. Now it is your turn. Everyone has the chance to make memories of their own in another country. This article is one that I would have liked to have read before I began my study abroad journey in Australia.

One thing that is important is to figure out is how you are going to get money while abroad. Transaction fees or wiring money can be expensive. If you are traveling to Australia, it is helpful to know that with a Bank of America account, you will not have to deal with extra fees because the bank Westpac is under the same global alliance.

Also, it is quite useful to have a cellphone when you first arrive. In a foreign country, your current cellphone may not work. If you have an iPhone, it helps to unlock it before you leave and get a cheap SIM card when you arrive. This can help you save money.

Another stop you should make is to get a myki card in Australia, which is necessary to use public transportation throughout the state of Victoria. This card does not cost very much, but you can be fined over $200 for not using it when needed.

Finally, you just need to learn how to use as little money as you can if you are traveling to Australia. The U.S. dollar is worth less than the Australian dollar, which means your money doesn’t go as far in the land down under. This means not going out to eat as much as you’d like and going grocery shopping instead.

Hopefully this article helps you and encourages you to take the leap into studying abroad.

Erica Hamman is a junior in biology. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.

Editor’s Note: This article was completed as an assignment for a class in the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications.