‘Monsters University’ a worthy prequel to ‘Monsters Inc.’

0
37

Pixar is well known for its amazing computer generation, creative characters, original story lines and sequels. But, until recently, the studio hadn’t done a prequel — “Monsters University” is the first ever.

This movie, produced by Pixar and released by Disney, takes the viewer back several years, when Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan start college to become Scarers. Mike is your typical hardworking student and is always studying, whereas Sully thinks he can get by on his name alone. As the movie progresses, Mike is told that he does not have what it takes to be a Scarer, because he is just not scary enough, while Sully begins to realize that his reputation will not be enough to get him through school.

At one point, they both get kicked out of Scare College, and in order for them to get back in they have to prove they have what it takes by joining the Scare Games — a competition between different fraternity houses. The frat house they join consists of students that no other fraternity house wants. I think Pixar did a good job of showing that if you put your mind to something and want it bad enough, you can achieve anything. I think this is a positive message for children who might be watching this movie.

This movie gives the viewer a better understanding of Mike and Sully and how their relationship grew. In the beginning, Mike and Sully did not like each other, but as the movie progresses, they learn to work with one another, eventually becoming good friends.

Watching the campus where this movie takes place was truly amazing. The detail was spot-on, from dorm life to going to class. The university even had rush week, different clubs the characters could join and a rival college to contend with.

The humor in the movie was just like in the first one: well-done and consistent. It kept you laughing throughout. The humor came not so much from what you heard but from what you saw and had a lot to do with the depiction of college life and the detail they put into the campus.

The movie was very comparable to the first one, but it seemed to be missing something — I think it has to do with this movie being a prequel. “Monsters Inc.” might not been the best movie to make a prequel to. Maybe Pixar should have started with Mike and Sully and the other characters in school, then moved on to the sequel. It’s really hard to put a finger on what is missing, but it seems to lack that Pixar flair.

I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. It does not quite measure up to what audiences expect from Pixar. However, the movie is well worth seeing, and children will enjoy the old characters just as much as the new ones.

Russell Edem is a junior in mass communications. Please send comments to edge@kstatecollegian.com.