Opportunity cost: what skipping classes can do to your wallet

0
178

As the semester kicks off with the first week of classes, much of the Wildcat excitement has returned to campus. Students, eager to return to college life, actually attend classes optimistic about getting good grades and taking one more step closer to graduation.

This honeymoon period, however, inevitably comes to an end — and fast. Assignments start piling up, deadlines get tighter, grading gets stricter and social activities start picking up. For a lot of students, finding the motivation to just attend classes can be the biggest struggle that they will face. And when the weather gets colder, using a warm bed as an escape from class becomes even more tempting.

Unfortunately, college classes are an extremely expensive commodity to skip. At K-State, the in-state tuition cost per credit hour is $261. For a three-credit hour course that meets about 48 times in a semester, you are spending $16 and change per class.

This means that every time you decide that you have something better to do than go to class or make the choice to sleep in, you are essentially taking $16 out of your wallet and setting it on fire.

Although doing the homework and studying for tests may become tedious, it is important to keep attending classes and striving to make the most out of your education. According to a 2010 Wall Street Journal article, college graduates make roughly $800,000 more during their lifetimes than their high school graduate counterparts.

The math here is simple: go to class, take an active interest in your education and have the chance to be financially stable for years to come.