Comparing Positions: K-State and Louisiana

0
22

QB Terrance Broadway vs QB Jake Waters

Broadway entered his junior season with some hype after throwing for 2,842 yards and 17 touchdowns last season with a 65 percent completion percentage, while running for 769 yards and nine scores on the ground. Broadway is a true dual threat quarterback, more so than senior Brock Jensen of North Dakota State was last week. A signal caller from Baton Rouge, La., Broadway threw for 171 yards with one touchdown and one interception while getting just nine yards on the ground last week in a 34-14 loss at Arkansas, showing some weak aspects of his game against a big name school, which K-State hopes to exploit again this week. However, don’t let those numbers fool you, he is still a wild-card for the Ragin’ Cajuns with the ability to tear apart a defense with his arm and his legs.

Waters put up some great numbers last week in his debut against North Dakota State, tossing for 280 yards and two touchdowns while being picked off twice. The junior transfer from Iowa Western Community College showed off his cannon arm in two long touchdowns to wide receivers senior Tramaine Thompson and junior Tyler Lockett. Waters proved that he already has a good rapport with his top two targets, as 13 of his 21 completions were to one of the two speedy wideouts. Look for Waters to try and make up for his game-ending interception this week with a stellar performance against Louisiana.

Edge: Waters. K-State’s new man under center showed why he set the junior college single season completion percentage record last year by firing the ball all over the field. While he will lose some snaps to sophomore quarterback Daniel Sams this week, head coach Bill Snyder will still find time to let Waters fire some strikes against the Ragin’ Cajuns.

C Andre Huval vs. C B.J. Finney

Huval, the senior anchor for the Ragin’ Cajun line, was a Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference performer last season and is the leader of a line that returns three starters from last season. Huval paved the way for a team that averaged 193 yards rushing per game last season and will be looking to put up more than the 105 rushing yards they accumulated last week at Arkansas. The 6-foot-2-inch, 285-pound senior was named to the preseason All-Conference team, meaning that there is much expected of him this year.

If you don’t know who B.J. Finney is yet, then take some time right now to look him up. He was the subject of Wednesday’s Powercat Profile right here in the Collegian, and his story has been a big one for K-State. The former walk-on is in his second season as a captain this year, his junior campaign, and if anyone has a chip on their shoulder going into Week 2, it’s him. The Wildcat offensive line struggled last week as the team only ran for 41 yards, and Finney said he was none too pleased with the way they played. If anyone can get this line to play up to their potential — and they have plenty of potential — then Finney is the man to do it.

Edge: Finney. At 6 feet 4 inches, 303 pounds, the Wildcat center can open up plenty of running lanes for senior running back John Hubert this week, and look for him to do just that.

LB Justin Anderson vs. LB Blake Slaughter

Anderson is the Ragin’ Cajun’s leader on defense after racking up 105 tackles last season, including 8.5 for loss and two sacks. Anderson, named to the preseason All-Sun Belt team, had six games with double-digit tackles last year, one of which came against Oklahoma State. The senior from Foley, Ala. led the team in tackles last year by 30 and also had a 38 yard pick six against Western Kentucky. Anderson started his season off well against big competition last week with 14 tackles.

Slaughter is also a senior linebacker and tied for a team high 10 tackles last week while leading the team with two sacks. After redshirting last year, Slaughter had not started a game since 2010, but he had a solid first game of the 2013 season. Slaughter is an all-out player who gives 100 percent on every play and can deliver some bone-crushing hits to anyone who gets past the Wildcat defensive line. This game, he’ll be ready to lead the defense to a better showing than they had last week.

Edge: Anderson. While I gave Slaugter Defensive Player of the Game honors last week and expect him to play well again this week, Anderson has a bit of an edge on him. Slaughter has fellow linebackers senior Tre Walker and junior Jonathan Truman on either side of him who can both lead the defense and put up big numbers, but Anderson is the man who is looked to by the Ragin’ Cajuns every week.