Personal Responsibility is not a “War on Women”

2
157

Over the last couple years, especially during the 2012 general election, I have become more and more aggravated with the Left’s use of the term “War on Women.” The United States has been one of the best countries to live in since we declared our independence. While we have had our ups and downs concerning equal rights, we have come a long way and are still far ahead of the rest of the world.

We established that “all men are created equal” and we have “certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” Our founding documents established rights that our government cannot take away from us as American citizens. Nearly 100 years after the beginning of the fight for women’s suffrage, women were granted the right to vote. Now women in the United States legally have every right that men have. These rights include the right to vote, hold public office, get an education, buy land, enter into legal contracts, serve in the military and much more.

The women’s suffrage movement was led by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. These two fought for the equality of women and were opposed to abortion. According to a letter written by Stanton, her view on abortion was that women were fighting to not be treated as property of men, so treating children as property and disposing of them as we see fit is degrading.

Those who say there is a “War on Women” seem to ignore the fact that women have a brain and are not just sexual creatures that cannot make choices for themselves. They also seem to believe that it is the government’s responsibility to take care of women. They ignore the simple fact that women can take responsibility for their actions. After all, isn’t that a right that we have been fighting for all along: personal responsibility, rather than having others be responsible for us?

If you want to have sex and don’t want a child, then you may want to consider birth control. You may still get pregnant since it is only 99.9 percent effective, but you should not expect the government to give it to you for free. According to walmart.com, it costs anywhere from $4 to $12 a month if you get your prescription filled there. If you can’t afford an extra $48 to $144 dollars a year, then you likely cannot afford a child and should consider that before having sex. Just because you decide to partake in an activity that could change your life forever doesn’t mean the government should have to pay for it, as this requires tax payers who may not agree with your choice to finance it.

The choice to have sex or not have sex is still yours. The choice to go on birth control is also yours. If that is not enough, you still have access to the Plan B One-Step® emergency contraceptive and to abortions. Those who do not like the current abortion laws must realize that while you have the right to do what you want with your body, you should not expect other people to be alright with what you decide to do to someone else’s body: i.e., the living, growing creature within you. You have every preventative measure in front of you should you wish not to get pregnant.

Those who say, “It is a woman’s body and she has the right to decide to do whatever she wants with it,” should consider that drugs and prostitution are also illegal, even though these concern others’ bodies. Let’s be realistic: there is no right-wing “War on Women.” There’s simply an expectation that you make rational decisions.

Samantha Poetter is a senior in political science. Please send comments to opinion@k-statecollegian.com