Women’s golf takes second in Marilynn Smith Invitational

0
34

The
K-State women’s golf team finished second place in the 15 team Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational held at Colbert Hills Golf Club. The course was a par 72, 6,265-yard plain. The Wildcats shot a
23-over par 311 in the final round, making their final 54 hole score a 62-over par
926. Kansas notched out the Wildcats for first place, shooting 46-over par 910.
The Wildcats had three top ten finishers.

“I am pleased with how the team competed. I saw a lot of good golf shots the last two days,” said head coach Kristi Knight, according to a K-State press release.

Junior Olivia Eliasson had the best finish out of all of the Wildcats. Shooting a five over par 77 in her final round, she finished tied for third. Her 54 hole score was 14-over par 230.

After starting the last day tied for 13th, junior Carly Ragains needed a strong final round to crack the top ten, and she did just that. Shooting a three over par 75 she boosted herself up seven spots and ended the day tied for sixth with a 15-over par 231.

A rough last round dropped senior Gianna Misenhelter out of the top spot and into ninth place. A tournament low one under 71 in her second round put her in position to win; however a 15-over par 87 in the third and final round proved to be the dagger that kept her from finishing first.

Freshman Katherine Gravel-Coursol ended the tournament with her first top-25 finish. She shot a 24-over par 240. Fellow freshman Madison Talley put in a score of 30-over par 246.

Knight acknowledged the early success of her youngest team members.

“Our freshmen adjusted well this morning and came back from a difficult round two. They settled in and hit some great shots,” Knight said, according to a K-State press release.

Kansas seniors Meghan Potee and Thanuttra Boonraksasat gained the first and second place finishes. Potee, with a consistently steady three rounds finished with a eight-over par 224, while Boonraksasat finished with an 11-over par 227.

From here, the Wildcats must regroup quickly and build on their early success. Up next is the Challenge at Onion Creek in Austin, Texas Monday Sept. 30 through Tuesday, Oct. 1.