No-cook foods work for college students on the go

1
36

Not many people have time to cook full meals while in college. Students have to deal with class, work, studying and many other things in their day-to-day lives. With the stresses of busy schedules, finding ways to avoid spending a lot of time over the stove can be a welcome discovery.

Here are some cool recipes that do not require cooking for one to enjoy them.

The simplest breakfast could be a bagel or it could be a smoothie. But, here are two recipes that make for a variation from traditional breakfast foods.

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

1 banana, peeled and chopped
10 fluid ounces milk
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Nutrition facts: 303 calories, 9 grams fat, 45 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 16 grams protein

Peel and cut up the banana, adding it along with everything else into the blender. Mix until completely blended.

This smoothie should be called “bland soup-flavored peanut butter.” Others might like this recipe, but for me, it was horrible. I give this a very reluctant one out of five stars.

Then, I found this next smoothie recipe with kiwis. It requires a little more prep work, since the kiwis must be peeled, but its worth it. You can almost cut the kiwi in half and just scoop the fruit out the peel with a spoon.

Banana Kiwi Smoothie
1 banana, peeled and chopped
1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup ice cubes

Nutrition facts: 155 calories, 2 grams fat, 28 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 7 grams protein

Now, you can make it this way but just as a warning, it has a major bite to it because of the tartness of the kiwi. The recipe says you can add one to two teaspoons of maple syrup for flavor, and to try and cut the sharp taste down, but the same amount of regular sugar will work, too. Since this one is frothy and tasty the way a smoothie should be, the banana kiwi recipe receives four out of five stars.

That takes care of breakfast, now how about lunch? Let’s start with a salad.

I found this recipe for Waldorf Salad that is almost as easy as the smoothies. The amount of ingredients varies, as it depends on how many people you plan on serving. I was making this for a large group of people, so the amount of ingredients I used is skewed. But one can just as easily scale down the recipe by cutting the amounts in half. This recipe serves six.

Waldorf Salad
4 apples, cored and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup walnuts
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup raisins
Nutrition facts: 145 calories, 5.4 grams fat, 341 milligrams potassium, 3.9 grams fiber, 2.8 grams protein

Everything just goes into a bowl. You don’t need the full amount of yogurt. All you are doing is coating the food so it doesn’t dry out while you eat it or when you store it. Just add a soup spoonful as needed and mix everything together.

You really don’t need to make this recipe this big unless you’re cooking for all of your roommates or want the leftovers for future meals. I’ve been told that one should try adding some vinegar to the yogurt, but I haven’t tried it. It’s just as good without, but this Waldorf Salad recipe is a suggestion I’m passing along. Four out of five stars.

On to dinner.

This recipe calls for one of my perennial favorites, wraps. Lots of wrap recipes call for a slathering of guacamole, horseradish or cream cheese. While all of those sound good, they are overdone. All one is really getting are empty calories and sodium. Lots and lots of sodium, especially in the recipes that call for guacamole, jalapeños and other peppers. This recipe is much simpler.

Wrap sandwich
1 tortilla (flour or wheat)
2 slices cheese
2 slices meat
lettuce chopped or in leaves
one dollop ranch dressing
Nutritional facts: 420 calories, 15 grams protein, 32 grams carbs

I also had some leftover chopped celery so I put that in, too. The crunch from the celery is fantastic. As for the ranch dressing, a dollop or just a small spoonful will do.

What you’ll do is use that spoonful of ranch to spread the dressing all over the food side of the tortilla. Why the small amount? Because what everyone fails to take into account is that when you roll it up you’ll be tasting it twice, so a little goes a long way. Place all of the ingredients onto the tortilla and wrap it up.

The thing to be careful about here is how much sodium one ends up putting into this recipe. If one is not careful, an entire daily dose can end up in this one meal, especially with the meat and the tortilla itself. Remember to check the nutritional information on all ingredients involved in the recipe.

I give this recipe five out of five stars.