Allocations passed, introduced in Student Senate meeting

0
26

K-State Student Governing Association’s Student Senate convened last night in the Big 12 Room of the K-State Student Union. After the meeting was called to order, Kate Wright, senior in elementary education, spoke during the first open period on an event sponsored by HandsOn K-State.

From noon to 3 p.m. on Monday, the service organization will host Ready Campus: Iceman’s Revenge, which Wright said will help prepare students for emergency situations on campus. A social media-based scavenger hunt will give students the opportunity to earn points that can be redeemed for prizes and the event will feature free food, t-shirts and first aid kits.

After Wright finished her remarks, the Senate moved into final action on Bill 13/14/05, which allocates $14,000 to various academic competition teams from across campus. The bill was passed by a vote of 53-0-0.

The allocations in Bill 05 ranged from $96.55 to the Fountain Wars Design Team to $2,896.55 for several agriculture competition teams.

After Bill 05 was passed, the College Allocations Committee introduced four pieces of legislation. The first, Bill 13/14/06, was a request for an $800 allocation to Agriculture Ambassadors to attend that National FFA Convention in Louisville, Ken. The committee recommended the full $800 to be allocated and the bill will go to a vote next week.

The next bill, 13/14/07, was a request from the National Organization of Minority Architecture Students for $2,240 in funding to send five members to their national convention in Indianapolis, Ind. The Committee recommended $350 in allocations, which will also be voted on next week.

Bill 13/14/08, a request for $1000 in funding from the Army ROTC to send members to run in the Army Ten Miler and attend the Association of the United States Army Convention in Washington, D.C., was introduced next. The committee recommended $800, and will be voted on at the next meeting.

The final piece of legislation introduced was Bill 13/14/09, dealing with allocations for the Blue Key Senior Honorary to host Dr. Tim Elmore next February in Forum Hall. The group requested $6,460 to bring Elmore, described in the bill as “a renowned author that will address the student body on topics of personal development, integrity and leadership” to the campus. The committee recommended $3,260 in funding. The bill will be voted on in final action next week.

At the end of the meeting, several more interns were sworn into their positions.

The Student Senate will reconvene at 6 p.m. next week in the Big 12 Room of the Union.