K-State women in eighth at Challenge at Onion Creek through 36 holes

0
38

The
K-State women’s golf team finished their first 36 holes in the par-70, 5,885-yard Challenge at Onion Creek Monday evening. The Wildcats currently are
sitting in the eighth spot overall. After shooting a 23-over par 303 as a team
they trail the leader Texas Tech Red Raiders by 23 strokes.

“We are capable of playing this course well,” head coach Kristi Knight said according to a K-State press release. “We just need to step up tomorrow and play our kind of game.”

Juniors Carly Ragains and Gianna Misenhelter led the way for the Wildcats, both shooting nine over par 149 respectively for the day. They are currently tied for the 21st spot. Fellow junior Oliva Eliasson shot the lowest score for the Wildcats in the first round, but had an abysmal front nine in the second round posting eight over par 43. She is currently tied for 30th place.

Freshman Madison Talley was consistent, shooting a 79 in both rounds. She finished the day tied for 44th. Fellow freshman Katherine Gravel-Coursol had a second round improvement of nine strokes, putting her tied for 52nd place after 36 holes.

The Red Raiders currently have two players in the top five. Elin Arvidsson posted the lowest score of the day, shooting a one-under par 139. Fellow Red Raider Stephanie Bertelsen finished fifth, posting a three-over par 143.

Fellow Big 12 school KU finished the day in second place posting a 23-over par 583, one stroke back of the Red Raiders. The Jayhawks had one top five finisher Thanuttra Boonraksasat, posting a 23-over par 583. She currently sits in second place overall.

The third and final round of the Challenge at Onion Creek will begin Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m.