Sisters of Sound music store offers unique options, vinyls

1
396
Jed Barker | Collegian Sarah (left) and Leah (right) Cunnick are co-owners of the Sisters of Sound music shop in Aggieville. The sisters opened the store in December of 2004, selling a variety of music available on both vinyl and CD.

Sisters of Sound is a music store located in Aggieville that offers an experience unlike any other in Kansas. The store is owned by sisters Sarah and Leah Cunnick, who opened the store in December of 2004 and have been providing music to Manhattan ever since.

Customers who enter the store are greeted by the friendly sisters and offered help. The Cunnicks even take song requests to be played over the store’s loud speakers.

A variety of music on CD and Vinyl is available at Sisters of Sound in new and used formats. Students, locals and older generations make the store their stop for music in Rock, Jazz, Hip-Hop and many other genres available in the store. Aside from vintage formats of music, they also have musical artwork available for purchase and provide services like repairing record players and cleaning records.

Since their opening, the Cunnicks have been dedicated to spreading their love of music through building quality relationships with customers and passionately advocating the preservation of music. Some of their favorite stories to share are how kids as young as 5 years old have bought their first vinyl records at Sisters of Sound.

The Cunnicks are also heavily involved in the community, partaking in national record day, putting on concerts, making donations to local charities and recently throwing Aggiefest ’13, a weekend music festival that hosted over 60 live local bands.

Amazon recently released information stating that vinyl sales are up 745 percent from 2008, but only make up two percent of the overall music market. There is always talk over whether or not vinyl records are making a comeback in popularity, but Sarah believes they are already here to stay.

“I think it’s made its comeback,” Sarah said. “I don’t know how far it will go, but every year the percentage of new vinyl that is sold is greater and greater.”

Both sisters stand behind the sound quality and durability vinyl offers that other formats of music cannot. One story that stands out from their experience is when a local high school student came into the store looking for a particular Led Zeppelin album. After they played the vinyl record over the loud speakers, the kid did not even recognize the music. He said the sound quality of vinyl made listening a different experience.

The Cunnicks said they enjoy listening to vinyl more than any other format because the experience is more personal than any digital format.

“It’s sound quality, it’s artwork, something kinesthetic that you do,” Leah said. “The joy of the movement of handling the vinyl and listening to it with your friends.”

The sisters have listening parties with their friends and use vinyl as a means of socially engaging with others. Sarah stands by vinyl so much that she has never purchased a digital album or single from the Internet.

Ethan Reed, sophomore in kinesiology and frequent customer of Sisters of Sound, said he likes to visit the store to discover new music to fall in love with.

“A lot of times I’ll get the whole album and listen because the song fits and tells a story,” Reed said. “With vinyl, it’s more conscious. It’s personal.”

The Sisters of Sound are coming up on their ten year anniversary next year and said they hope to have many more years dedicated to spreading their love of music to people everywhere.