Bill Nye the Science Guy’s visit is rescheduled

0
62

Bill Nye the Science Guy will not be able to speak at McCain Auditorium today, due to injuries from “Dancing with the Stars.” Nye’s lecture on sustainability has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. Dec. 3, at Bramlage Coliseum.

While dancing his paso doble routine on Monday, Sept. 23, Nye stepped on his pant leg and tripped, causing him to tear the ligaments in his left leg. Because of his injury, Nye and his partner, Tyne Stecklein, were unsure as to whether or not he would be able to continue the competition. The uncertainty didn’t last long, however, as the couple was sent home on Sept. 30 after being eliminated. Now that Nye is off the show and recovering, he has agreed to come to K-State on Dec. 3, instead of canceling his appearance completely.

“I think we were initially disappointed that we had to reschedule,” said Georgia Campbell, senior in family studies and human services and UPC forums community co-chair. “Now we are really excited about having the opportunity for more people to experience his lecture on sustainability.”

According to Campbell, the original date for Nye’s appearance at McCain sold out fairly quickly. Currently having Bramlage Coliseum available for this event gives more people the opportunity to go.

“I’m really excited because I grew up watching Bill Nye and he was one of my inspirations for science,” Deb Stone, sophomore in feed science and management, said. “I was really upset I couldn’t go before, but now there are more tickets and I can actually go.”

For students that already secured a ticket, there will be a ticket exchange from Oct. 28 through Nov. 1 in the K-State Student Union. Students will need to present a valid K-State student ID to receive their ticket to get into Bramlage on Dec. 3.

For students who did not obtain a ticket for the original lecture, there will be 500 additional tickets available at the Union beginning Nov. 4. Once the 500 tickets have been distributed, there will be more made available through the Bramlage Ticket Office.

“I think it’s great that there are more tickets out,” Gian LaManno, sophomore in advertising, said. “I think that should be the priority because of how popular Bill Nye is. We always watched him in our science classes growing up and I’m glad that he’s still coming and that I can go.”

For the general public that purchased tickets, McCain will do a total refund, but only back to a credit or debit card. Refunds will be handled at the McCain box office after Nov. 4. However, students will not be able to receive a refund.

The public will have to purchase tickets from the Athletics Ticket Office between Oct. 28 and Nov. 1 for the new performance date. The Athletics Ticket Office will have the names of those people that purchased tickets from McCain so tickets can be made available to them.

Remaining tickets will be available for purchase beginning at 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 4. Student tickets are $10 – excluding K-State students – and military tickets are $8.

In place of Nye’s lecture, UPC announced that they are hosting “Night at the Museum” at the Flint Hills Discovery Center. It will be held today from 9 p.m. until midnight and is free to the public.