K-State cross country heads to Indiana for Pre-National Invitational

0
32

The K-State cross country teams are heading to Terre Haute, Ind. on Saturday to compete in the Pre-National Invitational. This event will give teams nationwide their first look at the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center, the site of the 2013 Division I cross country national championships.

The Wildcats are headed to the course after a strong showing at the Rim Rock Invitational in Lawrence two weeks ago. Both teams finished third in the invitational and each had ten top-50 finishers, with five for both squads finishing in the top-10.
The men are being led by senior Ryan Hershner, who finished eighth in Lawrence with a time of 25:25.91.

The freshman trio of Jeff Bachman, Brett Bachman and Lukas Koch, who finished 11th, 14th and 21st respectively, seem to have been hitting a stride over the last few races and are going into this week with high hopes. The Wildcats will have to rely on the three freshmen, as well as their other young runners, to make a statement during this large event.

The women, who have finished in the top three in all three races this season, are going into the Pre-National Invitational with high hopes as well.

The Wildcats will have to rely on senior Martina Tresch, who finished fifth with a time of 21:07.80 in her first 6k race since 2011. Tresch will have to set the tone for the Wildcats in the race.

Another key runner for the Wildcats will be junior Laura Galvan, who finished eighth two weeks ago. Galvan, who is considered by many to be the best runner for the women, will have to rely on her preparation to lead her team in a very tough competition.

They will have to continue to improve because the Pre-National Invitational will be the last competition for the Wildcats as they prepare for the Big 12 Championships on Saturday, Nov. 2.