Purple Pride Cup encourages Greek community to attend K-State sporting events

0
50

By attending home games of the K-State Athletic Department sports teams, students in the greek community can now earn “points” for their respective chapters. The chapter with the most points wins the the Purple Pride Cup and an on-field trophy presentation at the first K-State football game at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in the 2014-15 season.

“The main focus of the program is to encourage student attendance at athletic events by engaging the passionate group of greek community students on campus,Adam Prough, assistant director of K-State Athletics, said.

The system is based on the percentage of the chapter in attendance. If 100 percent of the chapter members are at a game, that chapter will receive 100 points. Students simply scan their student ID card at the game, which will then compile an attendance list after each game.

There will be opportunities for the chapters to earn bonus points at certain events throughout the year. This Saturday, for instance, greek students will have a chance to earn double points toward their overall score by attending the K-State women’s volleyball game at Ahearn Field House. Another opportunity for double points will be available during the men’s basketball season, the date for which has yet to be set. The leaders in points from each chapter will be announced at a select game and will have the chance to take part in a halftime competition to earn more points.

One fraternity and one sorority will be announced as the winners at the end of May 2014 on K-State social media profiles. The winners will be allowed to have up to 50 members from its organization on the football field during the award ceremony. There will also be an announcement for the Most Valuable Person, an individual whom earns the most points for his or her team, from each winning chapter. They will receive a free athletic pass for 2014-2015.

While the competition is a fun idea, there are a few noticeable drawbacks. One issue is that only greek chapters will be able to compete. This means that only Interfraternity and Panhellenic Council organizations will be eligible.

As the fraternity or sorority receive points based on the percentage of the chapter that shows up, another potential drawback of fair scoring arises. Due to the uneven chapter sizes, it is easier for the smaller greek chapters to get 100 percent attendance at the events and earn 100 points, whereas getting a group of 200 men or women together to go to a game is very difficult.

Vince Lamas, junior in public relations and member of Sigma Chi fraternity, said he has not completely bought into the idea of the Purple Pride Cup.

“I think it is good for recruiting guys to the house because you can say you won it, but besides that I think it is kind of pointless,” Lamas said.

However, there is a good portion of the greek community that seems to be enjoying this new competition. Ciara Chambers, sophomore in political science and member of Kappa Delta sorority, said she thinks the Purple Pride Cup is a great opportunity for the greek community.

“It is a good way for all of us to get together and support K-State and show our pride for athletics,” Chambers said.I also like that it showcases which greek house has the most K-State spirit.”

After the football game against Baylor last Saturday, the leaders in the fraternity division were ACACIA, followed by Farmhouse in second place by less than 40 points and Tau Kappa Epsilon in third. In the sorority division, Kappa Delta held the lead, followed by Kappa Alpha Theta in close second by less than 15 points and Alpha Delta Pi in third.

Prough said he was not surprised with the high levels of participation up to this point.

“K-State students are very passionate about athletics and after working with the leadership within the greek community, we were pretty confident that greek members would embrace the competition and they have,” Prough said.