Equestrian team left heartbroken after two losses over the weekend

0
52

After a two big wins over top 10 teams in their last two meets, the K-State Equestrian team suffered a rough weekend, losing to conference foes No. 7 Baylor and No. 6 TCU.

The Wildcats faced off against Baylor on Friday in Waco, Texas, falling 14-5 to the Bears. The Hunter Seat team lost 7-3 while the Western team was defeated 8-2.

In Equitation Over Fences, Baylor notched a 4-1 win, with the Wildcats’ lone point coming from freshman Henley Adkins. Adkins win was a big one for her though, scoring an event high of 87 points, earning her the Most Outstanding Player award for the event.

As for the other for K-State riders, a couple were close but could not quite capture a point. Senior Shana Barnett lost by four points and senior Rachel Webster scored an impressive 85 but was bested 86-85 by Baylor freshman Alicia Gasser.

In Equitation on the Flat, the Wildcats fell 3-2, with Adkins and junior Madison Wayda scoring points for K-State. Adkins won 61-57, while Wayda took a 77-48 over Baylor sophomore Jenny Mitchell. The junior captain’s 29 point victory over Mitchell earned her an MOP, the second on the day for K-State.

The Western team did not fare any better, dropping both Horsemanship and Reigning 4-1.

Although the Horsemanship team only scored one point, they were very close to taking three others. Senior Kelly Bovaird took the team’s lone point in the event, notching a 72.5-69 win. Freshman Amelia Crites, senior Rachel Wetherell and sophomore Danielle Kemper all suffered one point losses.

In Reigning, senior captain Jordan Cox took the team’s lone point with a huge 75-0 win over Baylor freshman Elizabeth Shank. Sophomore Savannah Smith lost an incredible close point 72-71.5, making it four points that the Western team lost by one point or less.

Overall, the 10 point win for Baylor was deceiving as K-State kept many of the points close, and were closer to pulling out the win than the score reveals.

Against TCU, the Wildcats lost a devastatingly close matchup 10-9 to the Horned Frogs. The second loss in two days was a heart-breaker for the team, who had taken a three-match win streak into the weekend.

K-State started hot in Hunter Seat, taking Equitation Over Fences 4-1. Graves took an 84-79 victory to draw first blood on the day for the Wildcats, while Wayda notched another strong win, an 88-81 point that earned her a second MOP for the weekend and her third on the season. Adkins score of 80 held off TCU sophomore Taylor Alexander’s 78, while Webster took 76-75 decision for K-State’s last point over Fences. With four points and four scores of 80 or higher, the Equitation Over Fences team had a stellar match versus the Horned Frogs.

However, in the next event, Equitation on the Flat, TCU took revenge, sweeping all five points. Wayda was the only K-State rider to come within seven points of her opponent, with an impressive score of 86. However, Horned Frog senior Caitlin Ader scored a remarkable 91 to steal the point away from Wayda and the Wildcats.

The Western team did well, winning 5-4, but it was not enough to over come TCU’s sweep on the Flat.

The Wildcats took Horsemanship 3-2, with Crites starting the scoring with a 74-73 win. K-State senior Chayna DeNicolo won 74.5-73, and Bovaird’s 74-72.5 ride rounded out the scoring in the discipline.

In Reigning, the teams drew even at 2-2, with Bovaird taking a narrow 72-71.5 win as well as the MOP for the event. Smith took another close point, winning 72-71, and Cox tied the final event with a solid score of 71, but it was not quite enough and TCU took the win 10-9.

The Wildcats now have a 4-3 record and are 1-2 in the Big 12 after their tough weekend. However, five of their seven matches have been against teams that were ranked seventh or higher, giving them plenty of experience against top teams. The team will ride next on Nov. 9 against No. 10 SMU and Tennesee-Martin in Martin, Tenn.