Pelger wins Big 12 Player of the Week

0
53
(Photo by Emily DeShazer) Senior middle blocker Kaitlynn Pelger pulls back for a spike during the 3-0 win over Siene Sept. 7, 2013. Pelger averages 2.54 kills per set, the most of any Wildcat this season.

Senior middle blocker Kaitlynn Pelger earned her second weekly award of the season, being named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for her performance last week.

Pelger helped her team avoid the first three-game skid since the finish of last season with a dominating three-set win over Texas Tech Saturday in Ahearn Field House. She contributed to a strong team performance with 15 kills and an impressive .406 hitting percentage while earning 16 points for the Wildcats.

Pelger, the active career Big 12 kill leader, led the Big 12 in kills per set (5.00) and was second in points per set (5.33) behind the Big 12 rookie of the week winner, Baylor’s freshman middle blocker Natalie Gower (5.83).

The weekly award now brings Pelger her seventh weekly award in her career. She also received a defensive player of the week award for the week of Sept. 16, when the Wildcats went 3-1 including a 2-1 mark in the Cal Tournament in Berkeley, Cal.

Pelger is a powerful force for the team on the season, leading the Wildcats with 219 kills thus far, boasting an impressive 3.04 kills per set. Pelger also leads the team with 280.50 total points — scoring an average of 3.90 points per set — and in service aces scoring 23 aces on 72 serve-attempts (0.32 per set).

Pelger, who has led the Wildcats in kills the past three seasons — and could become the first Wildcat to lead the Wildcats in kills for four straight seasons — also eclipsed Yolanda Young (K-State 1993-96) during the match against the Red Raiders in the K-State record book for career kills. She is now fourth in the records with 1,408 kills in her career. The senior now sits behind Dawn Cady (K-State 1996-99), who had 1,611 kills in her career.

Pelger and the Wildcats travel to Waco, Texas to take on the Baylor Bears tomorrow. The next home action for the Wildcats will be on Saturday when they face the new number one team in the nation, the Texas Longhorns.