Success not evil, government assistance programs should be rejected

3
89

Sometimes, when I’m going to the bathroom and run out of toilet paper, I call my state representative and ask if she can hook me up. And sometimes, when I’ve had a rough day, I give Governor Brownback a ring to see if he wants to get Nutella, and cry with me while watching ‘The Notebook.’

In reality, I only do the first one, but sometimes I think people rely similarly on the government.

“Pay for my family’s food, pay for my housing, pay for my phone, because I deserve it — because I’m entitled to it.”

Says who, I ask? You know what you’re entitled to? A job application.

I’m nauseatingly sick of hearing progressives criticize conservatives for pushing a strict welfare budget.

We conservatives are labeled “evil scumbags” because we don’t believe that the general public is entitled to the money we have earned. Aren’t we just the devil’s spawn?

However, let’s think about this for about seventeen seconds. Which is more optimistic? To give the poor a handout because there’s no way they can get on their feet by themselves or to allow the individual to earn success on their own because I believe they can?

I believe in the power of the individual. I believe people live far under their limit of ability, thinking they can’t do something or can’t achieve what they want. It’s the “pursuit of happiness” for a reason. The pursuit is what makes the success taste so good.

But don’t become too successful, or you’ll turn into an evil, selfish, white, racist elite that urinates on the poor, like in Ed Asner’s “Anti Trickle-Down” video.

It doesn’t matter if you survived a grueling 10-year education, aggressively climbed your way up the business ladder, or, God-forbid, you inherited your family’s wealth, you’re still part of the maliciously racist 1 percent, and you deserve to have the guilt of over-success eat you alive.

When and why has success turned into a crime? Maybe we need to start handing trophies to prisoners, because they’ve just had really hard lives, OK? I mean, where do we stop?

In 2010, we spent nearly $700 billion on federal welfare programs. That’s $700 billion of the working class’ money handed out to those that are “entitled” to it.

I understand that people hit hard times. We are humans. Bad things happen.This is the reason I support private charity; I believe the day that humans stop caring about each other is when we will ultimately fail.

That is why it hurts me to see the middle class hit so hard in order to support those who refuse to leave the welfare system. Temporary assistance can be acceptable, and that’s one of the beauties of America, but demanding assistance because one believes they are entitled to it is intolerable.

My parents are in the working class. I know, I know. How dare they be financially stable, right? They both work. My mom works as an IT project manager and has had to work under stressful conditions. My dad owns his own HVAC business, and is on call 24/7, year-round. Currently, they are plowing through their workweeks in order to send me to college. For that, I will be eternally grateful and hope to someday return the favor to my children.

It’s not a financial ease for my parents to send me to school. But you know what? That woman I know with seven children and one on the way is entitled to a sum of their money — money that could have gone to my education or into their retirement fund.

That’s like saying, “Hey, I know you’ve been working out and eating a strict diet, and it was really hard and stuff, but I’m going give you this man’s beer belly because he can’t get a girlfriend and that just really sucks for him.”

The irresponsible are rewarded for their irresponsibility. By mailing the irresponsible a bundle of handouts every week, we are telling these families that complacency is acceptable — there will be no punishments. With that, we create a cycle in which the child sees the adult receiving unearned financial assistance, and the child learns to believe that’s the norm.

They then grow up to live in the same manner, and their children witness the same lifestyle. The cycle grows and continues until we have the “Original Obamaphone Lady” voting herself free stuff.

Without a hint of sarcasm, I want to talk to that lady and make her believe in her worth. I want her to embrace individual ability and to believe that success is more fulfilling than taxpayer subsidies.

Laura Meyers is a freshman in journalism and political science. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.