Active Times ranks K-State nation’s 8th fittest university

0
90
Parker Robb | Collegian Logan Eck, junior in animal science, exercises on a treadmill at the Rec Tuesday evening. K-State’s expansive recreation complex, which offers students many ways to stay in shape, has contributed to K-State being ranked the eighth most fit college nationally.Photo credit: Parker Robb.

A recent Active Times article ranked K-State the eighth fittest college in the U.S., citing our varsity sports success, our recreational complex and the new Wildcat Wellness Coalition as contributors to students’ health and well-being.

Boasting one of the largest college recreation centers in the nation, the K-State campus provides plenty of opportunities for students to stay in shape.

The Chester E. Peters Recreational Complex, or “the Rec,” which is used by an average of 2,500 students each day, contains over 25,000 square feet of cardio equipment, a weight room and weight training room, 13 basketball courts and a rock climbing wall. The Rec was recently renovated, receiving the additions of a video game area, study and lounge areas, a TRX cross training piece, more weights and a stretching room.

Xavier Capalla, junior in biology and Spanish, said he regularly uses the Rec complex to train and stay in shape. With a torn ACL, Capalla has had to alter his workout routines recently.

“Since I tore my ACL, I’ve just been doing a lot of calisthenics,” Capalla said. “Prior, I would do heavy bag work, go to wrestling practices and lift weights.”

Capalla said he appreciates the balanced lifestyle K-State students seem to adopt in regards to health and fitness.

“They spend time making their bodies look great, and I think it’s a good reflection of the student body,” Capalla said. “So many people being fit and taking time out of their day to do that shows a good balance.”

The Wildcat Wellness Coalition, a collaboration of the Rec, Lafene Health Center and Counseling Services, also works to provide information for student development in the areas of health and wellness.

“Our goal is to promote wellness to the entire campus,” Megan Clark, Wildcat Wellness Coalition representative from the Rec, said. “Specifically we’ve been targeting students so far.”

The Wildcat Wellness Coalition focuses on seven distinct types of wellness: physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, occupational and social.

“We want students and staff to learn what they can do, whether it’s altering their diet or working out on their own,” Clark said. “It just increases positivity all around.”

With events so far this year such as “Love Your Body” night at the Rec and a 5k run at Lafene, the Wildcat Wellness Coalition has also been aiming to support interactions among students.

“There are so many opportunities for people to get out and meet people,” Clark said. “The idea of being fit and all the Rec has to offer is definitely tied to that.”

Brian Collins, freshman in athletic training, said he has noted that fitness is a pervasive attitude around campus.

“I would say that compared to a lot of the midwest, people are relatively fit,” Collins said.

Collins also said he sees the value of healthy lifestyles and the effects they can have in the long term.