K-State Equestrian Hunter Seat seeks revenge at Saturday’s meet

0
44

The No. 6 K-State equestrian team will look to recover from their two-meet skid tomorrow when they head to Martin, Tenn. to face off with the No. 10 SMU Mustangs and the UT-Martin Skyhawks.

“It has been a great break for our team mentally and physically to have a few weeks off,” head coach Casie Maxwell said, according to a K-State press release. “We have worked hard at home and feel rejuvenated to get back on the road and put our hard work to the test. We had a lot of momentum leaving Texas and hope to pick up on that same note to finish out the fall semester strong.”

The Wildcats lost a nail-biting tiebreaker last year to SMU, but beat UT-Martin earlier this season at Timbercreek Stables 13-7.

The Western team will send a lot of upperclassmen leadership to compete, starting with senior captain Kelly Bovaird along with senior riders Amelia Crites, Rachel Wetherell and Chayna DeNicolo. Sophomore Danielle Kemper will be the lone underclassman competing in this event.

Bovaird will also be competing for the Reining team along with fellow senior teammates Jordan Cox and Emily Stockford. Sophomore Kara Guy and junior Savannah Smith will fill out the Reining lineup. Bovaird, fresh off winning Most Outstanding Player honors, will look to build on that success.

The Hunter Seat team is out for revenge on SMU after the Mustangs defeated the Wildcats in a tiebreaker last season. Junior captain Madison Wayda, along with fellow senior captain Rachel Webster, will lead the charge for the Hunter seat team. The senior duo of Cat Avolese and Jacquelyn Bogstad give the riders the experience they need, while freshman duo Henley Adkins and Alexis Graves look to continue their early success.

K-State Equestrian ends the fall season on Nov. 22, when Georgia comes to Timbercreek Stables for the season finale.