“The Wedding Singer” takes audience back to Walkman, clap-on light era

0
165
Chandler Riley | Collegian The cast of The Wedding Singer runs through the show during a dress rehearsal on Tuesday night in McCain auditorium.Photo credit: Chandler Riley.

Cries of laughter, loud clapping and people hooting and hollering were among the things heard at last night’s first showing of “The Wedding Singer” in McCain Auditorium. The musical took the audience back to the ’80s, an era that known for crazy funk, fresh hair and wicked outfits.

Cameron Kietzman, sophomore in journalism and mass communications, said that the musical really showed him about the era.

“I really liked how all the outfits were vintage,” Kietzman said. “You could tell it was in the ’80s but it definitely had a modern feel to it.”

The play started with the ultimate 1980’s wedding, where the Simply Wed wedding band was playing all the greatest tunes of the time. Robbie Hart, played by Sam Massey, sophomore in vocal performance, Simply Wed’s lead singer, loved his life and was ready to marry his love, Linda, played by Hannah Conroy-Philbrook, sophomore in theatre performance.

However, Robbie’s story took a turn for the worse when he found himself left at the alter with a broken heart. He was not able to sing at weddings or even get his life back together until he started to fall in love with Julia, a waitresses for the catering company, played by Elise Poehling, junior in musical theatre.

When Robbie realizes Julia is engaged, he is again left with a broken heart. The musical takes the audience through Robbie’s life, his heartbreaks and loves.

However, the musical was not gushy the whole time by any means; all the characters had quirky personalities that added to the overall comedic feeling of the show.

George and Sammy were Robbie’s band mates and spunky best friends. Sammy, played by senior in theatre performance Mat Ellis, was more of a greasy, “always trying to get some with his ex” type of guy and George, played by Randy Rhoten, senior in theatre performance, had a feminine side, admitting later to liking men.

Trent Hagenau, sophomore in communications studies, said that his favorite character was George.

“I’m not sure how hard of a role that was to play, but he did an amazing job at it,” Hagenau said. “He was definitely the funniest character.”

Glen Guglia, played by Donovan Woods, senior in vocal performance, was Julia’s fiancé. A stereotypical rich man, he was CEO of his company, loved money and constantly cheated on Julia. Then there was Holly, played by Sara Belhouari, senior in theatre performance, Julia’s best friend, who was the ultimate wing woman and always made the adventures more fun. Last but not least was Rosie, Robbie’s grandmother and roommate who added her own spunk to the show, played by Sandy Chastan, graduate student in theatre performance and retired French teacher for Manhattan High School.

Marisa Snyder, freshman in pre-med, said that her favorite part was when the story came together.

“It was at the end when all the confetti came down and everything worked out perfectly,” Snyder said. “It was so awesome and everyone started cheering.”

With tons of laughter and cheers, “The Wedding Singer” took the audience of all different ages back to a time that gave us battery packed cell phones and the sprinkler dance move. The comical love story ended happily ever after and with a standing ovation from the audience.