From the President’s Desk

0
45

K-Staters,

As the semester flies by, the ever-looming goals of our university’s ambitious K-State 2025 plan near by the day. One staple of our university over the years is the work of search committees; many people may not realize it, but each and every time an upper-level leadership position is open, a lengthy, several month long search process occurs. A couple of very notable searches are currently underway at K-State: one for our next Vice President of Administration and Finance and another for a new Vice President of Research. Both are impactful positions that play a key role in the system of shared governance we have at K-State.

Ever since I was a freshman, I’ve heard talk of the “shared governance” attitude on campus, but over the years, I’ve come to understand it more fully. At K-State, it’s not just President Kirk Schulz or Provost April Mason who make all the decisions on their own – though they’re both awesome. In reality, student government works with Faculty Senate, Classified Senate, and the Anderson Hall administrators along with the academic deans and department heads to make decisions that affect the university each day. It’s a complex network of individuals, but that’s what is required to govern a group of 25,000+ students and thousands of faculty and staff with a reach across the state and nation.

As I mentioned earlier, we’ll soon be filling the position of Vice President of Administration and Finance. The job is one of tremendous scope, tasked with “supervision of all financial operations, facilities planning and maintenance, human resources, university police and environmental health and safety.” I’ve had the opportunity to represent the student body on the search committee over the past several months, and I’m happy to say we’ve narrowed the field to four tremendous candidates, each of whom will be on campus in the next two weeks for their final round presentations and interviews. It’s hard to understate the importance of this position, especially when considering the changing way in which public universities are being funded in Kansas — more of our money as students is being asked for, so it’s our responsibility to take an active role in the process.

The following are the presentation times and finalist candidates for the position of Vice President of Administration and Finance. All presentations will take place in the Leadership Studies Building Town Hall and are open to the campus community:

Friday, Nov. 15:

Alan Ridnour, 9-10 a.m.

Monday, Nov. 18:

Cindy Bontrager, noon-1 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 21:

Bart Graham, 4-5 p.m.

Friday, Nov. 22:

Guy Swanson, 10-11 a.m.

Hope to see you at a couple of the presentations — the future of K-State is at stake!

Have a great week,

Eli Schooley

elis@ksu.edu

Student Body President