Delilah DeWylde and the Lost Boys get the crowd moving with rockabilly

0
24

Saturday night was a throwback to a time of pinned curls, Elvis Presley and the earliest style of rock and roll music, “rockabilly,” at Aggie Central Station. The Michigan-based trio Delilah DeWylde and the Lost Boys got drinkers dancing and cups overflowing.

“What I like about rockabilly is its just more energy, so that’s what I gravitated toward,” DeWylde, upright bass and lead vocals, said. “I’m really passionate about the early days of rock and roll. It’ll never happen again when there’s this new music that just takes over everything.”

DeWylde and her lost boys tore up the stage with style, every note telling the story of a time where rockabilly was blossoming out of American blues and country roots. Their performance fed on the energy of the night, the venue and the crowd. When all of those things align the result is pure entertainment and a fun night with classically cool tunes.

DeWylde said she values making a connection with the audience and creating a relationship for the evening where they inspire one another. The crowd last night was full of wildcat spirit and was roaring for the group.

“I think it’s easier to sing than it is to be an entertainer,” DeWylde said. “There’s really an art to performing to a crowd, meaning making a connection to the audience that’s really more important than people give it credit for. You can see a really good band and if the front person doesn’t talk to the audience between songs I think that’s weird.”

The crowd couldn’t get enough of the show even after Wildcat football, and left it all on the dance floor.

“It’s wild, to just see a bunch of people dancing,” Michael Levolo, Manhattan resident, said. “They sound good. It’s different than what you usually hear in Manhattan. It’s like 1950s rock and roll.”

Not only did the music itself keep the attention of the audience, DeWylde had all eyes on her going from singing sweetly to standing on her upright bass and rocking it. Style is a key element to this trio, who were dressed to the nines in old school glam.

Their style and perspective on music as an art form are original and come with having a background that ranges from being trained in classic music to taking in the as many bootleg copies of rock shows as possible.

“What’s cool about music is it’s like art. You’ll look at a piece of art on the wall and you interpret that art however you interpret it,” Lee Harvey, lead guitar, said. “It’s not like someone says, ‘When you look at a painting you have to think that.’ The thing is the person that painted it may have a totally different feeling than you have. So, when you see trees or something and it makes you feel comfortable, the painter could be like, ‘I made this when I was mad.’”

This group thrives and is truly at their best when playing live shows, which is what they prefer. Where some artists find solace and piece of mind the studio, Delilah DeWylde and the Lost Boys would rather be letting loose on stage.

“Studio is really difficult,” Harvey said. “Some people are really creative in the studio, and they use that. We play live so much the studio is like a sterile environment. You don’t have the audience. For us, last night we played some songs that went into a few different components and we went into something completely different that we’ve never played before and everybody fed off each other, and we were feeding off the crowd.”