Wildcats set to take on Grambling State Saturday afternoon

0
13
Josh Staab | Collegian Junior guard Haley Texada is put under pressure by a half-court press from Wichita State during the Wildcats's game in Bramliage Nov. 19. Texada was active on both sides of the ball before she fouled out towards the end of the first half in K-State's 69-46 loss to the Shockers.Photo credit: Josh Staab.

The K-State women’s basketball team returns to action in Bramlage Coliseum tomorrow against Grambling State (2-4). The Wildcats (3-3) return to Manhattan after splitting a pair of contests in the Junkanoo Jam in Freeport, Bahamas over fall break.

The Wildcats finished the Junkanoo Jam in a strong fashion with a closely contested 49-46 win over Virginia, a day after losing to Southern Methodist. Junior guard Haley Texada eased the Wildcats in the win, pushing the team with 13 points in 35 minutes. Freshman guard Leticia Romero led the team with 12 rebounds, 8 assists and 4 steals.

The Wildcats face a down-trodden Tiger team that has only one win against an NCAA opponent, New Orleans University, with a 24-point victory. Their only other win came from Texas College, who competes in the NAIA. The Big 12 has been able to handle the Tigers well this season with Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech all beating Grambling State comfortably. The Tigers are looking to bounce back against the Big 12 after being beat by an average of 34.6 points, including a 110-55 loss to Baylor to start their season.

The Wildcats come into the game after holding the Cavaliers to a season-best 46 points, but turning the ball over 21 times. The Wildcats average 23.3 turnovers per game, ranking 336th in the nation out of 343 Division-I teams. Even worse for the Wildcats, they don’t force enough turnovers to cancel out their mistakes. They hold a -7.33 turnover margin, 333rd in the nation.

Turnovers make it hard for any team to win games, because it allows teams to sneak up and beat teams that they shouldn’t. The Tigers have almost as much trouble with turnovers as the Wildcats do, having a -2.83 turnover margin.The Wildcats will have to limit turnovers against the Tigers, and try to force them to make mistakes.

The Wildcats have never lost to the Tigers, holding an 8-0 record. The last two meetings between the teams have been won by the Wildcats by an average of 24 points, a feat that this Wildcat team will want to duplicate.

Look for turnovers to be the deciding factor for the game, with the team that wins the turnover battle winning the game. That being said, with the Big 12’s recent success against the Tigers, the Wildcats should be able to easily handle the Tigers in a home-court atmosphere. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.