The stressed student’s guide to a free finals feast

0
49

I don’t think many students would claim I’m being hyperbolic when I say that finals week is as close to hell on earth as we are likely going to get. It is 120 hours of sleepless nights, cramming, stress and panicking because every time you fit an equation into your brain a different one slips out.

Much like a battered ship finding a harbor in a storm, some organizations on campus offer aid to students in the form of free snacks and drinks before sending them once more into the fray. When and where can you find these modern day Clara Bartons? What kind of relief are these bastions of altruism offering? Where can you go once you’re ready to rejoin the fight?

For years, K-State’s Hale Library has been a churchillian citadel in which students could find refuge, and this year is no different. Hale will be offering free snacks, coffee, tea and sympathy to students from 10 p.m. to midnight, Sunday through Tuesday during finals week. The event, dubbed “Caffeine Fix,” is sponsored by K-State Libraries and Einstein Brothers Bagels. Additional sponsors include The Wildcat 91.9, Bluestem Bistro, Jimmy John’s, Ray’s Apple Market and Varsity Donuts.

Students who attend the event can expect a plethora of snack and drink options.

Along with K-State Libraries who provide snacks and drinks each night, [our co-sponsors] will provide items every night,” Darchelle Martin, Events and Programs Coordinator for K-State’s Libraries, said.

In addition to the Caffeine Fix, Hale Library will be hosting a performance from the Kansas City artists So Long Solo in Hale’s Hemisphere Room on Monday from 10 p.m. to midnight. The event is sponsored by Hale Library, and UPC will have free drinks and bagels while supplies last.

K-State Libraries isn’t the only option available for students who need a respite. The K-State Alumni association will also be giving snacks and drinks to members of Wildcats Forever.

“[Snacks and drinks] can be found on the second floor of the alumni center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during dead week and from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday during finals week,” Megan Sherlock, associate director of student programs for the K-State Alumni Association, said. “K-State students who are not in Wildcats Forever can sign up through the iSIS market place or can come into our office and sign up any time.”

Breakfast foods will be available during the morning and will transition to other foods throughout the day.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon will also be giving away coffee, hot chocolate and snacks at their house from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 18.

Once you reach the point where you can no longer justify your procrastination and finally force yourself to study for your finals, there are several places for you to hit the books.

Hale Library will have three study zones during finals week to meet the different study preferences of students,” Martin said. The zones will be separated predominately by noise level. “Students are asked to be respectful of fellow students and observe which zone they are studying in. Hale Library will also be open 24 hours a day beginning Sunday, Dec. 8 until Dec. 19.”

In addition to the library, students are welcome to study at the Leadership Studies Building and the K-State Student Union.

The Leadership Studies Building will be open 24 hours per day for finals week beginning at noon on Sunday, Dec. 15 and will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 20,” Monica Strathman, business manager for the School of Leadership Studies, said.

The K-State Student Union will be open 24 hours a day starting on Sunday night, Dec. 8,” Bill Smriga, executive director at the Union, said. “We will remain open 24 hours a day until closing at 10 p.m. on Dec. 13. Starting again on Sunday, Dec. 15, we will be open 24 hours a day until closing at 10 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 20.”