Jayhawks thrash Wildcats 86-60

0
101
Photo by Emily DeShazer | The Collegian K-State Freshman guard Marcus Foster takes a shot as Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid blocks it. K-State fell 86-60 to the Jayhawks in the Sunflower Showdown.

The No. 25 K-State Wildcats (12-4, 2-1) came to Allen Fieldhouse riding a 10-game winning streak. That streak was snapped by in-state rival Kansas (11-4, 2-0) in a roaring fashion Saturday afternoon.

The Jayhawks controlled the game from the opening tip, never once allowing the Wildcats to lead in the game. The Jayhawks shot a staggering 65 percent from the field without committing a single turnover in the first half, giving them a 45-28 lead at the break.

K-State battled in the second half, but it was already too late. The Wildcats have relied heavily on the scoring of freshman guard Marcus Foster. On Saturday, the freshman finished with only seven points.

Turning point

11 minutes into the first half, Kansas began to assert their dominance. With the score at 20-14, the home team rattled off an impressive 11-1 run, pushing their lead to 31-15 with 5:48 left in the first half. The Wildcats never managed to cut the lead to single digits after that point.

X-Factor

Despite freshman guard Andrew Wiggins finishing with a game-high 22 points, it was freshman guard Wayne Selden Jr. who gave the Jayhawks the kick start they needed for the second consecutive game. Selden had 14 of his 17 points in the first half.

History

K-State has now lost six consecutive games to the Jayhawks dating back to 2011. The Wildcats will get their next crack at their in-state rivals when they meet in Bramlage Coliseum on February 10th.

Looking ahead

The Wildcats will be back in action on Tuesday to take on the Oklahoma Sooners (13-3, 2-1). The Sooners are coming off of a big win over the No. 9 Iowa State Cyclones. Last season, the Wildcats topped the Sooners in Bramlage Coliseum SCORE