Texas’ buzzer beater sinks Wildcats

0
150
(Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian) Junior forward Thomas Gipson jumps for a layup in the second half of the Wildcats' 74-71 upset victory over the #6-ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys in Bramlage Coliseum January 4. Gipson scored a career-high 24 points in K-State's buzzer-beater loss to Texas in Austin Tuesday evening.

The Headline
The Texas Longhorns (15-4, 4-2) knocked off the No. 22 K-State Wildcats (14-5, 4-2) in Austin last night, 67-64. It was a close game throughout and ended on a buzzer beating 3-pointer shot by Longhorn junior forward Jonathan Holmes.

Sophomore guard Javan Felix led the way for the Longhorns with 23 points. Center Cameron Ridley also put in 18 points to pair with his six rebounds. Holmes only had eight points, but had the game-winner and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Junior Thomas Gipson carried the Wildcats’ offense by scoring 24 points. Senior guard Shane Southwell was the only other Wildcat in double digits with 13 points. Blossoming freshman guard Marcus Foster did not have a very good game, scoring in single digits for the Wildcats for only the fourth time this season.

The Turning Point
This game was a deadlock until the final buzzer. As time expired, Holmes hit a 3-pointer in the corner to win. Holmes’ buzzer beater ended a game that had many runs. Both teams had many plays that looked like they could change the game, but ultimately Holmes’ shot was all that mattered.

The X-Factor
Felix was the guy for the Longhorns on Tuesday night. Felix had a clutch shot as the shot clock expired with just a minute left in the game to put the Longhorns up by four points. He also poured in 23 points and carried the Longhorns when the team was in a dry spell.

By the Numbers

20 – The lead changed hands 20 times over the course of this game.

1 – The Wildcats out-rebounded Texas by one board. K-State didn’t come out on top, but they kept the eighth best rebounding team in the country in check.

6 – The largest lead of the game was just six points. Texas were the owners of that lead.