New ammunition technology, R.I.P. bullet

5
2659

It is being called the “one-shot man-stopper.”

AmmoZone and G2 Research joined forces and are making headlines in the gun world with their new technology- the R.I.P. (Radically Invasive Projectile) 9mm, 96 grain, hollow point bullet. It is being advertised as, “The last round you will ever need.”

“I’ve been in the ammunition business for many years and I wanted to create a round that would work well against a home intruder,” Cliff Brown, G2 Research president, told The Blaze. “There were so many stories out there about a woman trying to defend her home and having to shoot someone five or six times and they’d still come after her, we wanted to create an effective one-shot man-stopper.”

The bullet made its first impression at the Las Vegas Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show and in online demo videos earlier this year. According to Brown, venders were impressed; it “knocked their socks off.”

Function

What makes this hollow point bullet innovative is its patent-pending geometric design. According to the G2 Research website, the tip of the bullet consists of eight trocar-shaped petals, which upon impact, act similar to a holesaw.

The new design “allows for an ease of entry by reducing the deceleration at the point of impact, causing potential energy to be conserved, thus delivering a deadly kinetic energy wave,” according to the G2 Research website.

The website’s demo videos also show that the round acts like a full metal jacket upon impact. According to the website, “It is capable of going through barriers such as sheet rock, plywood, sheet metal or glass and still performs its original intent. The bullet shreds through solid objects and only then, expands its energy.”

The “expansion” occurs when the trocar petals separate themselves from the projectile and expand in eight different directions while flipping 180 degrees halfway along each of their paths, the site explained.

Law Enforcement Assessment

Despite the bullet’s lethal capabilities, it can’t penetrate protective vests worn by law enforcement officials, Brown told The Blaze.

Mat Droge, public information officer with the Riley County Police Department, doesn’t see the new technology as an added danger for law enforcement.

“As far as I know, it’s the caliber that matters when speaking about penetration, and our vests have been tested to withstand 9mm,” Droge said.

Currently, the only caliber that has been released is 9mm. However, G2 Research has plans to manufacture the R.I.P. round in .380 acp, .357 sig, .40 cal, .45 acp, and shotgun slugs.

Although the R.I.P. bullet presents a new level of threat, Droge reminds citizens that all ammunition presents some level of danger.

“Any round can be devastating,” he said. “A BB pellet and a .22 rifle round can kill a person. No matter the bullet, what it comes down to is responsible gun-ownership and use.”

Safety and efficiency

Keith Bowman, committee member of Friends of NRA in Johnson County, believes the bullet’s design could also help with self-defense safety and efficiency.

“Most handguns that are carried concealed are low-capacity, and this round could prove to be a more effective carry round than others because of its stopping power,” Bowman said. “There is also less chance of ricochet with a round like this.”

With less chance of ricochet, there is less of a chance that the round will indirectly hit an unintended target if the intended target is missed or the gun is misfired.

“The lesser chance of ricochet with these rounds would be a positive,” Droge said. “In the end, I hope I never see these things used on civilians or law enforcement. Violence should never be a person’s first reaction.”

Testing Review

Currently, no Manhattan stores have ordered, or stocked, the new ammunition. According to an article by KETK East Texas, the first shipment of R.I.P. ammo hit stores on Tuesday. They reported that one vendor sold out within five minutes of opening.

William Turner, owner of William Gun Works in Wichita, was allowed to purchase what he called “demo rounds” before the ammunition was released to stores.

“I tested the rounds with paper targets and a water jug. When I shot the water jug, I couldn’t find it afterwards,” Turner said. “I’ve been in the firearm industry for a while, and it is a cool round, yet devastating.”

Turner said he plans to stock the ammunition in his store.

“Most retail prices will probably be about $45 per box,” he said. “A case was found on gunbroker.com before it had been stocked in stores, and it was sold for around $300.”

Turner reported zero feeding issues when tested on a Glock-17 during his trial of the demo rounds. He said that he believes the R.I.P. ammunition will be an effective carrying round.

“Our main objective obviously isn’t to kill,” Turner said. “It is to get away. If you have one shot, this round will definitely stop a threat.”