Manhattan area briefs for Feb. 13

0
148

Salvation Army grand reopening
The Salvation Army Thrift Store, 308 Poyntz Ave., will be holding a grand reopening event on Feb. 22 at 10 a.m. The event is free and open to the public. There will be music provided by the Salvation Army Brass Ensemble and special guests, including Kansas Rep. Tom Phillips.
The store was forced to move to a temporary location on 4th Street after a fire caused approximately $150,000 in damage last June. The fire was later determined to be caused by arson.

Coca-Cola seeks Kansas barn for commercial
Film director Zach Lowry has announced his hopes to shoot a Coca-Cola commercial in Kansas in May or June, and is currently looking for an iconic, weather-beaten Kansas barn to use for the setting.
According to the Associated Press, the barn must be made out of wood with a wood-shingled roof and next to, or surrounded by, a wheat field. It must also have a ceiling 20 feet or higher, and windows or side slits for light rays to show through. It must also be large enough for a 1965 Mustang to fit diagonally inside.
Inquiries may be sent to
za.lowry@gmail.com or 610-710-5245.

Body found in freezer in Kansas City
Kansas City, Kan. police are investigating a body discovered in a freezer in a Kansas City, Kan. garage on Sunday. The body was found by a woman hired to do cleaning for the residence. KCTV5 reports the police are handling the investigation as a death and not as a homicide at this time. Early reports that the body was found decapitated were proven to be false. An autopsy is planned, but has been delayed until the body thaws.

Amazon to bring more jobs to Kansas
Amazon has announced it will be adding more than 2,500 new full-time jobs at several key fulfillment centers across the U.S. According to an article by KAKE, a center located in Coffeyville, Kan. is among the centers with jobs available.

Old Kansas newspapers to be made available online
Kansas residents will have online access to millions of pages of newspapers published between 1854 and 1922 thanks to a new partnership between the Kansas Historical Society’s Kansas Digital Newspapers program and newspapers.com. The KDN program seeks to make historical newspapers available to the public for research free of charge. A driver’s license or government ID is required for access to the website at kshs.org/ancestry/drivers/dlverify.