K-State, Manhattan area briefs

0
82

Body identified as missing Junction City woman
A body found in rural Geary County on Feb. 12 has been identified as 24-year-old Amanda Clemons, who was reported missing on Feb. 7. An autopsy conducted over the weekend concluded that Clemons died as a result of sharp-force injury. Her death has been ruled a homicide.
Junction City police arrested three people in connection with the case on Feb. 13. Marryssa Middleton, resident of Colorado, and Larry Lamathis Anderson, Manhattan resident, have been charged with aggravated kidnapping and first-degree murder. Drexel Woody, Fort Riley resident, has been charged with aggravated kidnapping and aiding and abetting murder. All three suspects are being held on $1 million bond and will be facing court hearings in Geary County.

Additional college courses approved for statewide transfer
Kansas students transferring to a different college or university may soon have help transferring more of their course credits. The Kansas Board of Regents have approved an additional 14 courses that will transfer among 32 higher learning institutions across the state. The changes will take effect beginning in the summer 2014 term. The new courses added to the Kansas System-Wide Transfer list are:
Acting II
Art History I – Prehistoric to Medieval
Art History II – Renaissance to Contemporary
Chemistry II/Lab
Childhood Growth and Development
Elementary Statistics
French I
Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology
Logic and Critical Thinking
Music Theory
Social Problems
Spanish II
Stage Crafts
Theater Practicum
These new additions bring the total number of courses which transfer as direct equivalents at all public postsecondary institutions to 46. For the complete listing of KSWT courses, visit kansasregents.org/transfer_articulation

Two Hutchinson High School plead guilty to hazing
Hutchinson News reports that two high school students will face jail time after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges stemming from a hazing incident last year.
Jaiden Casanova and Kendric Hudson, both 18 years old, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor hazing and misdemeanor battery on Tuesday. Both will face sentences of 30 days in jail and one year of probation. Another 16-year-old student involved in the incident was charged as a minor and placed in state juvenile custody.
Casanova and Hudson were arrested in connection with a hazing incident at Hutchinson High School that occurred on Oct. 30 and 31, 2013. The incident resulted in two 15 year olds and a 14-year-old being branded by hot metal clothes hangers. The students were all football players at the high school. A police investigation found that the students acted alone without any knowledge or involvement from coaches or other school officials.

Southeast Kansas beef plant to add 300 employees
A beef processing company in southeast Kansas announced on Monday that it has plans to expand operations, which will create 300 new jobs over the next five years. Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC, based in Arkansas City, Kan., is one of the largest employers in Cowley County and currently employs more than 700 people. The Arkansas City Traveler reports that the city anticipates the new jobs will draw more families to the area, boosting local economy.