Women’s team falls to TCU in Fort Worth 64-44

0
126
Photo by Taylor Alderman | Collegian Freshman guard Leti Romero drives through the Red Raider defense during the Wildcats' 60-54 victory over Texas Tech Saturday in Bramlage Coliseum.

After a big win on Saturday, the K-State Wildcats appeared to have momentum on their side Wednesday night in Fort Worth, jumping out to an early 10-2 lead. After that, the home team flexed their muscles, taking over the game. The Wildcats (10-15, 4-10 Big 12) fell to the TCU Horned Frogs (15-11, 6-8 Big 12) 64-44 in Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

It was freshman forward Breanna Lewis who led the way for the Wildcats on Wednesday. The freshman finished with 14 points along with six rebounds and three blocks.

K-State came storming out of the gates as sophomore guard Bri Craig and senior forward Katya Leick eached drained one from outside the arc. The Wildcats held onto a 12-7 lead near the midway point of the first half. But the home team answered right back. The Horned Frogs dominated the rest of the half, outscoring the Wildcats 22-1, giving them a 29-13 halftime lead. The three pointer from Craig was her only basket of the game.

There would be no surge to start the second half for Deb Patterson’s squad. TCU pushed their lead to 24 points in the second half. The Wildcats found a little more success on the offensive end in the second half, shooting 37.5 percent from the field. In the first half, the Wildcats shot a measly 21.7 percent from the floor. K-State turned the ball over 22 times during the course of the game.

The Horned Frogs turned the player who the Wildcats have been leaning on through the duration of this season into almost a non-factor. Freshman guard Leticia Romero struggled to get into a rhythm. The freshman from Spain finished with nine points off of just 4-11 shooting from the floor.

Senior guard Ashia Woods played all but one minute on Wednesday night. She came up just short of a double-double on the night, finishing with eight points and nine rebounds.

Similar to the men’s team, the women have only won one conference game away from Bramlage Coliseum this season. The Horned Frogs sit in seventh place in the Big 12 after the win.

The women will be back in action on Saturday as they return home to take on the No. 13 West Virginia Mountaineers (23-2, 12-2). The Mountaineers have won six straight games entering Saturday’s matchup. They currently sit just behind Baylor at the top of the Big 12 standings. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. at Bramlage Coliseum.