‘Be a man. K-State Version.’ gains tens of thousands of views

1
89
Brook Morris | The Collegian Sophomores Liz Hix, majoring in Secondary Education, Angela Livingston, majoring in Bussiness and Management, Katherine Finn, majoring in Sociology, Sarah Gittemeier, majoring in Electrical Engineering, Maddie Johnson, majoring in Political Science, Abby Sehleicher, majoring in Art, Natalie Yancey, majoring in Elementary Education, Meredith Tapp, majoring in Family Studies, and Felicia Walker, majoring in Animal Science, tell viewers to be a man. These ladies made a catchy video for finals week that has gone viral.

Finals. A designated week that often induces poor sleep schedules and stress, and strikes fear into some students.

One group of women who lived in Boyd Hall last year played on the work ethic it takes to successfully breeze through finals. They did what any student might do in the digital age – they made a YouTube video.

Now, it has more than 44,000 views.

Natalie Yancey, junior in elementary education, helped initiate the video project.

“We had made a previous music video,” Yancey said.I figured out how to make videos over winter break my freshman year. I was really into it, and everyone was saying we should make another video.”

The planning for the finals week video came when some of the women thought the song “Be a Man,” from Disney’s “Mulan,” could be good to use for a video.

Yancey said she initially did not like the song choice, though.

“I listened to the song multiple times trying to relate it to something,” Yancey said. “We thought finals are coming up, it would kind of be funny to make a parody about ‘Be a Man’ about finals. It was better to have a theme with the video instead of just a random video.”

The equipment the group used was simple: a small point-and-shoot camera and iMovie editing software. Even the planning, choreographing, shooting and compilation of scenes for the video was simple, Yancey said. It only took about a week.

Yancey had completed editing the video before finals week, and said it was hard to resist posting the video on the Internet, she was so excited.

She had wanted to wait to post the video until Monday of finals week, but in her excitement, she posted in on Sunday, May 12, 2013.

“We would be outside filming and we would see people we know and we would tell them just to come be in the scene,” Angela Livingston, sophomore in business administration, said. “It’s funny because later, people would say, ‘I had no idea I was going to be in a video that so many people would see.'”

The overall popularity of the video was aided by widespread use of social media, said Felicia Walker, senior in animal science and industry and Housing and Dining Resident Assistant. K-State Housing and Dining Services helped share the video through its social media sites.

“I think having it on Facebook and having a lot of Facebook friends increased the views of the video,” Walker said. “People would share it, because their friends were in it.”

Favorite parts

Some of the students involved in making the video said their favorite parts included when a student broke a pencil with her teeth, and when Walker climbed a basketball pole.

“I had (climbed a basketball pole) the semester before after dinner one day, because I had said, ‘I think I can climb the basketball pole,’” Walker said. “Everyone around me said I couldn’t, so I decided I would and I did. So I just sat up there chilling for a while so people would walk by and wonder what I was doing up there.”

The group said they thought that Yancey did her best to make people feel included in the video.

“There were certain scenes that may not have been as good, but Natalie wanted to use them to make sure that people who wanted to be in the video were in the video,” Livingston said.

Positive impressions

The women said the video gave a good representation of Boyd Hall. While, they said, some people think of Boyd Hall as a “boring, all-girls dorm,” their video showed the “real” Boyd Hall. The video is able to show many sociable, fun women that try to give a positive light to living in the residence halls, including all-female halls.

“I think the video is a good representation of housing at K-State,” Livingston said. “The fact that the title has K-State in it makes it seem that we want to share it as K-State, and (that) it is genuine. It was not meant to be as popular as it was. People loved it because everyone was taking finals, as well.”

The group hopes to make another video soon. They said they won’t be aiming for a high number of YouTube views, but rather, the chance to bond with other people at K-State. What the video will be about is not clear at the moment, but the group said the music might be from another Disney movie.

“There is a good chance that the song will be from ‘Frozen,’” Yancey said.

The women said the “togetherness” that came from the creation of the video was gratifying.

“It was nice to see, from an RA’s standpoint, that these people have built these relationships throughout the year,” Walker said. “(That they) have come together and planned their own thing, and (were) able to have fun and be successful.”