Wildcats show well at the Big 12 Championships in Ames

0
143
File Photo | Collegian Redshirt sophomore pole vaulter Alyx Treasure twists her body up and over the high jump bar at the 2012 Wildcat Invitational Jan. 21, 2012, in Ahearn Fieldhouse. Treasure placed second in the high jump at the Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Championships in Ames, Iowa, this weekend.

K-State’s men’s and women’s track teams competed in the Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships in Ames, Iowa this weekend. The men placed third for the second straight year and the women placed fifth. The men tallied 95 points, their second highest point total in the event. This is the first back-to-back top-three placement for the men since 2003 and 2004.

Headlining the weekend’s events, senior Devin Dick placed first in the heptathlon with 5,678 points. This tops last season’s top score of 5,603 and placed him fourth in K-State’s history. Sophomore Alyx Treasure placed second in high jump, clearing 1.75m/5-08.75.

The hot streak that Erica Twiss has been on all season continued through the championship meet with her 17 points across three events – she placed third in the 60-meter hurdles with 8.42 seconds, won the pentathlon and finished eighth in the long jump. Other winners included sophomore Sara Savatovic, who took first place in the women’s weight throw; senior Jharyl Bowry, who won his second-straight Big 12 indoor title; and senior pole vaulter Kyle Wait, who captured his first indoor title. Wait is the two-time reigning Big 12 outdoor pole vault title holder.

“In terms of the team placing, we far surpassed really what I thought we would do and, individually, there were a lot of really good performances,” head coach Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “It’s really hard for me to find much of anything wrong.”