K-State, Manhattan area briefs for March 3

0
115

K-State to host Energy Symposium
Registration is open for the 2014 Energy Symposium on April 9 and 10. The symposium, hosted by the K-State Center for Sustainable Energy, offers students interested in the future of transportation technology a chance to network with others in the field and watch free presentations by experts from across the nation. This year’s speakers will include professionals from the chemical company DuPont, the Department of Energy, Abengoa Bioenergy Corporation and more. The symposium is free, but registration must be completed by April 1. More information can be found on the Center for Sustainable Energy’s website at cse.ksu.edu/

City seeks public input on sign regulations
The City of Manhattan will be holding several focus groups to discuss updating regulations on signs. The current regulations are listed in Article VI of the Manhattan Zoning Ordinance, originally adopted in 1996.
Some of the topics up for discussion include real estate signs, signs advertising apartments for rent, sidewalk signs, temporary signs, provisions for residential, commercial and industrial districts and more. Registration and more information is available on the City of Manhattan’s website at cityofmhk.com/index.aspx?nid=2069
The schedule is as follows. All meetings are in the City Hall’s City Commission Room, 1101 Poyntz Ave. until otherwise denoted.

• General Public and Businesses: Monday, March 10 at 3 p.m.
  • Landlords and Property Managers: Wednesday, March 12 at 9 a.m.
  • General Public and Businesses: Thursday, March 13 at 9 a.m.
  • Neighborhood Associations: Thursday, March 13 at 5:30 p.m. in
  • Sign Contractors: Friday, March 14 at 9 a.m.
  • Downtown Businesses: Wednesday, March 26 at 8 a.m.,Chamber of Commerce Conference Room, 501 Poyntz Ave.
  • Aggieville Businesses: Wednesday, March 26 at 2 p.m. , Aggieville Pizza Hut, 1121 Moro St.

Free screening of classic sci-fi film “Logan’s Run”
The Department of Computing and Information Sciences will be showing the 1976 classic film “Logan’s Run” on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Nichols Hall room 126. The event is free and open to the public.
“Logan’s Run” stars Michael York as Logan 5, a Sandman whose job it is to hunt down and kill anyone over the age of 30 as a form of population control in a post-apocalyptic world. The film, also starring Jenny Agutter and Peter Ustinov, was highly influential for the science fiction drama and nominated for two Oscars.

“It’s Spring Break, NOT Spring Broke” to offer food, prizes, financial advice
Powercat Financial Counseling is hosting an event to get students excited about spring break, while also offering financial advice for the future. “It’s Spring Break, NOT Spring Broke” will feature free food, games and prizes. Students will also have a chance to get free financial advice, such as tips for saving money and information about student loans.
The event will take place on Thursday from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the K-State Student Union Courtyard.