Livestock sale management class to host 37th annual Legacy Bull sale

0
201

It takes a class of 21 dedicated students, working numerous hours in and out of the classroom for months, to pull off a successful 37th annual Legacy Bull Sale.

The sale, set for 3:30 p.m. on Friday at the Stanley Stout Livestock Marketing Center, is unique in that it is completely run by K-State students enrolled in the livestock sale management class. Not only to the students run the sale the day of, but they are involved in taking and selecting photos of the cattle used in the Legacy catalog that is mailed out to potential buyers prior to the sale.

“The students are involved in making decisions for the advertisement side as well as photography of the cattle,” said Dan Moser, associate professor of animal sciences and industry, instructor of the management class and specialist in beef cattle genetics. “A key element of the advertisement of the animals is photography and preparing the cattle for photographing.”

In past months, the students have worked to prepare the selling of over 70 bulls, 20 registered purebred heifers, five elite-show heifer prospects and six ranch-broke performance horses.

Reed Gleason, junior in agricultural economics and student in the class, works at the purebred unit where he assists in feeding and placing bulls into lots, and in the preparation of the cattle for photographs.

“One of the biggest surprises to me has been all of the advertising, paper work and the behind the scenes work that go into this event,” Gleason said.

Students in the course are expected to learn how to communicate to the potential buyers. Gleason’s fellow student Erica Edwards, senior in animal sciences and industry, said she has learned how important customer service is when speaking with livestock producers.

I have always known that it is a very important part of running a business but in today’s competitive markets, you have to set your operation apart from others,” Edwards said. “Your customer service can overall make or break a sale, it’s something simple and can be overlooked many times.”