Home Sweet Home, Wildcats beat Iowa in season opener

0
21
Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Junior second baseman Carter Yagi picks up a grounder and launches it toward first base for K-State's third out in the top of the fifth inning in the Wildcats' season home opener against Iowa Friday afternoon. After jumping out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first inning, the 'Cats hung on to beat the Hawkeyes 3-2.

Storyline

Finally playing their first home game of the season, the K-State baseball team took a 3-2 victory over the Iowa Hawkeyes this afternoon. Just as the weather started nice turned chilly and cloudy by the end of the game, the offense started out hot but cooled off in the later innings in the narrow victory, finishing with seven hits and drawing four walks.

The pitching staff kept Iowa from stealing a win though, thanks in large part to sophomore Levi MaVorhis, who went six innings, allowing two runs off seven hits with five strikeouts and only one walk. Sophomore Jake Matthys also found success today, registering his first save of the season after tallying nine last season en route to Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors.

Big Inning

K-State jumped all over Iowa starter Calvin Matthews in the first inning, sending their entire lineup to the plate and scoring three runs to take an early lead. Three runs was all the team would need to win the game, as the pitching staff stepped up big to seal the victory.

Hot Bats

Junior shortstop Austin Fisher extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a single in the seventh inning. On the day, he went 1-for-3 with a walk, continuing his hot start to the season. Fisher has been the team’s best hitter so far this season, reaching base in all 12 games played so far.

Senior center fielder Ross Kivett also had a good day, as he built on his solid weekend last week with a double and two walks from the leadoff spot today.

Hustle Plays

Junior right fielder Max Brown had a huge impact on the game, going 1-for-2 at the plate and making a couple exceptional diving catches in right field to preserve the Wildcat’s narrow one-run lead late in the game.

“That first one was a really tough one, and the second one, he sacrificed his body, he’s bleeding, but that’s good,” head coach Brad Hill said of Browns’ effort. “That kind of saved us today.”

Next Game

K-State will play Iowa again tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan. Senior Jared Moore is expected to start on the mound for the Wildcats.